We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Amsterdam

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
347 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
First time in Amsterdam

Husband and I will be in Amsterdam for 5 days mid June. I have done lots of research and already bought tickets for the Anne Frank house.

Plan to visit the Rijksmuseum and do the Blue boat canal tour. They are the must do's.

Rest of time probably wander around and see what we find.

My question is though about fitting in a day trip, I think we will have time but not sure which to visit for ease of travel and nice place to see ,any guidance would be appreciated.

Now for the second question.. Apologies in advance! How to get from airport via public transport to the Tulipa B&B on Leidsekade?

Thanks

S

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,948 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Amsterdam

for ease of travel i like Haarlem. nice old city, older than Amsterdam and Capitol of North Holland province..easy peasy short train ride.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
8,956 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Amsterdam

Bus 197 to Leidseplein stop. Only couple minutes walk.

My favorite day trip has always been Volendam/Edam and Marken to see some of the Dutch countryside. Wait until you get to Amsterdam to make any final decisions.

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Amsterdam

My favorite day trip is Enkhuizen, to the north. Very old city on the Ijselmeer (it received its city rights in 1355!!), with an outstanding outdoors museum 'Zuiderzee Openlucht Museum' http://www.zuiderzeemuseum.nl/en/10/home/ - which you reach by boat from behind the train station. Loads to see, feel and do there.

It's a 1-hour train ride from Amsterdam, the city is the very last train stop on the line, and there are hourly departures from Amsterdam.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enkhuizen

http://tinyurl.com/k8zwuac

tripadvisor.fr/Attraction_Review-g188592-d26…

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Amsterdam

There are organized group daytrips by bus to see Zaanse Schans (windmills and such) and Marken and Volendam. All very touristy but well worth seeing. The group tour allows you to combine Zaanse Schans (northwest of Amsterdam) with the other towns northeast of Amsterdam, which are not really connected well to Zaanse Schans by public transport and would take more time if you did it independently.

But of course you can also visit Marken, Volendam and maybe Monnickendam independently. www.9292.nl/en will help you plan public transport. And look up info about a Waterland bus pass, I don't know anything about that but might be interesting if you want to visit Marken independently...

If the weather is good you could even visit Marken by bike. The ride over is beautiful, on top of a dike overlooking lakes with birds and sailboats, and you'll pass some other cute villages with colored wooden houses. And if you're up for it, take your bike on the ferry from Marken to Volendam (half an hour), which also allows you to visit neighboring Edam which is very pretty and less crowded, and then bike back to Amsterdam from there. You'd need to allow a full day for this. You can either do this with a guide or independently.

Or if you want to cycle to some picturesque villages with wooden houses that are closer by than Marken / Volendam and would take up less time and energy, then biking to Durgerdam and Ransdorp will be just as rewarding. You can be in picturesque Durgerdam in about 20-30 minutes cycling from Central Station (after taking the free ferry to Amsterdam North). More info here: tripadvisor.com/…0

Or you could consider taking a train to Enkhuizen, a beautiful historical town, and the open air Zuiderzee Museum there which depicts an ancient fishermen's village in action, with sailmakers and rope makers and such at work, and a school classroom in which you can take writing lessons and be scolded by the strict teacher. :-) I loved that museum. Enkhuizen is one hour by train.

Haarlem is also a lovely, mellow town, some call it 'smaller Amsterdam without all the tourists'. It has some good museums too, and nice outdoor terraces. Lots of young families move there from Amsterdam.

Another nice town nearby is Utrecht, especially the terraces down on the canal wharves are great if it's sunny. Utrecht has more of a studently and arty, gayfriendly vibe.

Leiden or Delft could also be options... too much to choose from!

Good luck deciding. Wait until you're here and let it depend on the weather as wel... ;-)

Cecilia // Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 28 April 2014, 22:38
Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
545 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in Amsterdam

Use google maps and put in the airport and then go to directions. Then put in the address of the B &B, then hit the bus sign to designate public transportation. You can do this for almost anywhere on the planet that has public transportation options and is in a generally descent size city. Safe Travels

UK
Level Contributor
347 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in Amsterdam

Thank you all for your good advice. Will use the 197 to get to accommodation

There are so many good suggestions re day trips , this is part of the problem!! They all sound so nice in their different ways. I think it won't be our last trip.

I shall give them all some thought and check out the links I have been given

Can't wait now!

S.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
8,876 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time in Amsterdam

+1 for Enkhuizen.

8. Re: First time in Amsterdam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2015, 07:16