We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
860 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
How many days?

We have about two week vacation 'window' in June 2016 (our 30th wedding anniversary).and Amsterdam is on our 'to-do' list.

Is there a week's worth of things to do, or would five days be plenty?

On a related note, since we'll be in the 'area', which other cities should we consider?

If five days is enough in Amsterdam, then perhaps we can do four days each in two additional cities? But, if I'd need a full week, then I could do a full week somewhere else as well.

(nice problem to have, huh?).

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
16,013 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many days?

I spend two weeks every trip and I almost never leave the city. Five days, a full week,two weeks, -----they would all work

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
16,013 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many days?

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g188590-s409/Amsterda…

Just a few of the suggested things to do

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
10,161 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many days?

The best part of Amsterdam isn't the "things to do", it's wandering, having a drink and snack at a sidewalk cafe, exploring, and enjoying the atmosphere. These days I go for 3 months at a time with no list of things to do whatsoever. A week would be wonderful. You're on vacation, relax, enjoy.

You can find the same repeated day trips by searching "day trip" above. Usual suspects: Delft, Utrecht, Enkhuizen, Breda, many more. You might spend a couple of nights in Maastricht, but without knowing the rest of your itinerary for the two weeks it's difficult to make recommendations.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
860 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many days?

I totally get what you're saying about needing enough time to wander aimlessly, without much of a serious plan. We go to New Orleans every year for at least ten days with no plan other than to listen to great music and eat/drink ourselves into a state of bliss! But, N.O. is an easy 3 1/2 hour flight from Los Angeles. If I am flying 'all the way' to Amsterdam, by necessity, I need to be practical with my time.

I was last in Amsterdam in 1984 for three days (with a backpack and not a lot of money) and loved it, promising myself I'd go back someday (with a fist full of cash, credit cards and a boyfriend!).

My initial plan is for us to spend a week in Amsterdam and then a week in London, but this far out from the trip, everything is obviously totally flexible, and if there is some city/cities closer to Amsterdam that we shouldn't miss, then London can wait.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
10,287 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many days?

Berlin and/or Prague to name a couple.

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
10,161 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many days?

There's a little place called Paris.

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
6,297 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How many days?

Amsterdam , Paris and London are great choices. All different. Logistically a very easy trip to do as well.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How many days?

I concur with the Amsterdam, Paris London idea, although you could easily spend a full 2 weeks in any of those destinations.

If you choose that combo, fly into either AMS or LHR and out of the other. Travel between London & Paris on Eurostar and between Paris & Amsterdam on Thalys.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How many days?

I agree with Hemikiwi. London, Amsterdam and Paris are easy to combine, especially if you fly open jaw. And are all quite different. But also quite pricey all three of them, when it comes to lodging and food in general (although of course you can find cheap ways to eat if you try hard enough). I don't know how big that wad of cash of yours will be. :-)

Much as I love my city Amsterdam, and still haven't seen enough after 16 years of living here, I would say 4-5 days is enough... lots of people even seem to find 3 full days enough because it is relatively small (only 800,000 inhabitants).

Obviously, a week would also be great and would allow you to relax more, wander around along canals and on markets, sip beers or other drinks, hang out in parks or at festivals, visit off-the-beaten-track parts of the city, do daytrips within the Netherlands...

London and Paris are much, much bigger and might warrent more time. 4 full days each at least.

Between Amsterdam and London you will find cheap flights that take about 40 minutes (but about 4 hours door to door, what with having to be there earlier for security check etc, and travel time to/from airports).

Between Paris and Amsterdam you will find high speed Thalys trains that only take 3:09 hours one-way from city center to city center, and are affordable if you book 92 days in advance.

Between Paris and London you will also find trains. All info is on www.seat61.com, schedules and current prices on www.b-europe.com.

So for instance you could fly from the US into London, take a train to Paris, then a train to Amsterdam, then fly back home to the US from Amsterdam (not going back to London first).

Amsterdam also has cheap flights to many cities in Spain and Italy and other European countries, which are cheaper for lodging and food. Car rental is super cheap in Spain. So you could also consider a week in Amsterdam, then a week in Barcelona, or in Seville & the Andalucia region (white villages draped over hills, moor influences, amazing food, hills, beaches, safe cities, super mellow vibe and friendly people, strong culture in music and dancing), or where ever.

The weather may be a factor. June can be unpredictable in Amsterdam and London, it could be rainy and/or windy and/or cold. Then again there could be a heatwave.

The options are endless. You have what we call "a luxury problem". :-)

Cecilia // Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
31,578 posts
588 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How many days?

"and if there is some city/cities closer to Amsterdam that we shouldn't miss, then London can wait."

Depending on your interests, but definitely recommend Berlin if you are into war history.