We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report Wed 27 to 30th April.

Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
613 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report Wed 27 to 30th April.

Arrived Sunday 27th April,flight from Edinburgh,our party comprising 4 family adult members. The transition from Airport to Schipol very easy using the automated ticket service.Elected to walk from Central Station to Hotel Van Oona ,, Bloemgracht 104.Listed as a one star hotel. only one available to us due to previous Day being Kings Day. Was pleasantly surprised ,yes basic but lovely and clean, no frills but extremely helpful attentive staff.No tv or coffee making available but we feel entirely unnecessary on a city break of 3 days.Its location is only 200 mtrs from the Anne Frank House and other major attractions were within walking distance.That evening we found the Leidseplein awash with Ajax football supporters celebrating their winning the national league.Well done Ajax.We elected to return to our own locale and dined at Restaurant Amigo on Rosengracht, excellent t-bone steaks,recommended.On same street found and enjoyed the Pub/cafe Golden Florin,attentive staff ,great people watching spot, Was surprised to find it the only premises with smoking inside. On stating my surprise to the barmaid , asking isnt it against the law, her reply,, we choose to ignore it, I loved that attitude,Second evening dined at restaurant Long Pura ,again on Rosengracht. Our first introduction to Indonesian Rice Table was a revalation,Unassuming from the outside , inside however a delightful restaurant with friendly attentive staff.We elected to choose the cheaper version at 25 euros per head , and are glad we did so, how anyone can finish the dearer options is beyond me.A most enjoyable experience which i heartily recommend.Found another wee pub/cafe on the Jonny Jordaan plein, the cafe de Eland ,great people watching spot.My favourite ,was one recommended by Cecile 74 , a regular contributer on here Kantjil de Tigre.A delightful spot directly on the canal allowing one to see within 5 ft all the boats go by.and only a two minute walk from our hotel.I found the Dutch people,very welcoming ,polite and informative.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
6,563 posts
1,246 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report Wed 27 to 30th April.

Thank you so much for such a helpful report.

Just about to go, your review certainly added to us.

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report Wed 27 to 30th April.

Are you sure it was Kantjil & de Tijger. I'm trying to imagine how to construe it as being directly on the canal with views or the boats as you describe.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report Wed 27 to 30th April.

Must have been Spanjer & Van Twist because that is one of my favorites that I keep recommending and where you sit right by the water.

Thanks for the report! Good to hear you enjoyed Amsterdam and its people.

That hotel sounds like a lucky catch during a busy period. Yes those rice tables at Long Pura are huuuuge! :-) But I believe the more expensive ones aren't bigger but have more exclusive dishes.

Cecilia // Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 03 May 2014, 17:15
Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report Wed 27 to 30th April.

Ah, that makes sense.

Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
613 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report Wed 27 to 30th April.

Definitely as i described,seats above the canal water line,Boats passing regurlarly,was one of the best drinking/Eating places we found thanks to Cecile 74s recommendations,Check it out on Google maps

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report Wed 27 to 30th April.

Dutch words do start to all look alike I suppose.

Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
613 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report Wed 27 to 30th April.

If one checks Ceciles 74 tips on drinking places ,one can see tis one of her recommendations for best drinking places,and it was.

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report Wed 27 to 30th April.

Yes, I'm clear on where you were, it's not Kantjil & de Tijger is all I'm saying.

Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
613 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report Wed 27 to 30th April.

Pala,i sat on 4 occasions at Kantril an de Tigre,directly on a canal front, as i said, boats passing bout 5 ft away from our seating.Check the site and you will find my recollections are correct.

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report Wed 27 to 30th April.

Well, I am glad you had a good time either way.