We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our final plan - Sept 2014....pl comment / advise !...Thx

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mumbai
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Our final plan - Sept 2014....pl comment / advise !...Thx

Dear friends

Thanks for all your help on our Sept trip - we have changed our program many times based on the feedback and have now finalized the same - any feedback / advice will be welcome:

Mon Sep 01: Land at Schiphol (from NewYork) around 8am and go to hotel - check in if possible, else leave bags. In the city whole day - plan is to go for a canal cruise, Rijksmuseum and in the evening the night district. Will mostly stay at the Ibis Amsterdam Airport.

Tue Sep 02: Half day available - thinking of going to The Hague.... other suggestions welcome. Take the evening Easyjet flight to Prague - tkts purchased - cost EUR 216 for 2 return tkts incl one checked bag for each of the two passengers. Also checked KLM and CSA - but the Easyjet option worked out better for us.

Wed/Thu/Fri - in Prague. Will post queries on Prague forums.

Sat Sep 06: Return from Prague around 8pm and will be free after checking in to the hotel, once again Ibis Amsterdam Airport. I guess we will be around the canal area until late night????... what are the other options????? Sat night should be a great time to be in the canal area?...

Sun Sep 07: 11am flight to Mumbai - so will have to reach Schiphol say 8am. Will catch up on our sleep during this 9 hr flight back home!

Does the above plan look ok for our time in Amsterdam? What else can we do?

Some Queries:

1. Wife is keen to go to Brussels to see the Grand Palace and visit the fabulous chocolate shops - but can we do this on Mon or Tue? Not sure whether we can squeeze this......Or may be TA can suggest some good chocolate shops in Amsterdam itself...

2. I assume the AMS-PRG-AMS will be a local flight within Schengen area. We will do our passport control / immigration at Schiphol on Sep 01 and then once again on our departure on Sep 07. So if my Schengen visa is a single entry - it should be ok? Pl advise.

Thx in advance !

Bombay
Level Contributor
107 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our final plan - Sept 2014....pl comment / advise !...Thx

For tuesday half day trip:

If you are interested in windmills, then go to Zaanse Scans which is very close to Amsterdam and reachable by bus or train. It has a number of working windmills, craft museums and shops. I am planning my trip and this is there on my list.

http://www.dezaanseschans.nl/en/

I would not recommend going to Brussels when you have only one and a half day in Netherlands.

AMS- PRG- AMS will not involve immigration.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
76 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our final plan - Sept 2014....pl comment / advise !...Thx

I second the idea to avoid Brussels in such a short window. There are plenty of very nice chocolate shops in Amsterdam. My personal favorites are Chocolátl in the Jordaan. The owner educates you on chocolate like a sommelier educates for wine. You can taste just about everything before you buy. Another option is Pucini Bomboni. They have three locations around Amsterdam.

Instead of the Brussels Grand Palace, Amsterdam has its own Palace that you can visit in Dam Square. Thus your wife can still experience the things she is interested in.

nyc
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Our final plan - Sept 2014....pl comment / advise !...Thx

New posting: Is it possible to be in area between Rijk & VanGogh Museums in Amsterdam and find a hotel room that has small refrig & utensils for end Aug/Sept? Would like elevator & bathtub & lobby computer to ck emails also. Thanks.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
8,842 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our final plan - Sept 2014....pl comment / advise !...Thx

Jan -

Between the two, no. Close, yes.

This question was asked recently on another thread and the general consensus seemed to recommend the Conservatorium, the Amsterdam Marriott, and the American Hotel (don't be fooled by the name):

http://www.conservatoriumhotel.com/

marriott.com/hotels/…

hampshire-hotels.com/en/amsterdam-american-h…

If you want more choices, just click on one of the the red flags (or dots) here:

http://goo.gl/maps/jCm20

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,927 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our final plan - Sept 2014....pl comment / advise !...Thx

And a 3 -4 min walk farther on from the Marriott and you have the Nh Amsterdam Centre .

Obviously not between the two venues but a reasonably short walk.

Edited: 06 June 2014, 01:26
Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
8,842 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Our final plan - Sept 2014....pl comment / advise !...Thx

Just another thought (I'm surprised John didn't suggest this as he is our hotel guru), read these two threads, (one for 4* and one for 5*). Go to the last 20 pages or so to see what the winning bids are. If you decide to try it yourself, check off the box under area for Museum Quarter.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188590-i60-k29065…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188590-i60-k29065…

Setubal, Portugal
Level Contributor
162 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Our final plan - Sept 2014....pl comment / advise !...Thx

oh, such little time in amsterdam... i love this city and cannot wait to come back!

Ibis airport... only keeps you away from the city!!... because you have to take the train from Central Staation but also a bus transfer (and vice versa). Do look for a hotel in the city (in December we're staying in Corner House Hotel in dam square) but yu have so many lovely bed and Breakfasts (worth a day or two looking and asking prices) and you have 2 ibis in town, check their prices (central station one is abit more expensive) but round up the costs of having to go back and forth Westcord Art hotel was one that was very close to our choosing, but really... what put us off B&B's was that none had 4 double bedrooms availabe, and we want to be all in the same lodging.

As to sightseeing, only one day you will need for top museums, if you're into that! Van Gogh and Rijksmuseum is not to be seen in a ruch, trust me!! then, more central ones, Anne Frank is a shame to be missed (major history landmark) and our lady in the ceeling (i believe this is the name) is also a recomendation from us.

Do see the list of top A'dam atractions, the 1st page alone is a must do ;)

Can't wait to be back!!!

Enjoy!

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,049 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Our final plan - Sept 2014....pl comment / advise !...Thx

Skip Brussels. And Dutch chocolate is far better, less waxy.

Does anyone know the name of the chocolate shoppe across from The Grey Area ?? The best !! And the cheese shoppe is right there as well.

Sunny

Edited: 07 June 2014, 02:51
Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
8,842 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Our final plan - Sept 2014....pl comment / advise !...Thx

http://www.puccinibomboni.com/

http://www.reypenaercheese.nl/content/home

10. Re: Our final plan - Sept 2014....pl comment / advise !...Thx

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2015, 07:16