We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

De baarsjes

usa
Level Contributor
141 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
De baarsjes

Fodors mentioned that this area has artist galleries and is similar to Soho in NYC. Is this accurate and if so which tram line to get there.? Thank you .

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: De baarsjes

LOL, surely there are some galleries (I don't know where) but SoHo? No. More like Harlem or Brooklyn... Monotype neighborhoods now up and coming and becoming more diversified.

Try the Jordaan for lots of small art galleries, and the center and Museumplein region for the big galleries / museums.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,811 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: De baarsjes

Fodors must have been on crack that day.

iamsterdam.com/en-GB/…de-baarsjes

Maybe they meant that some artists lived there due to poverty.

Also look at the area around the Spiegelqwartier.

iamsterdam.com/en-GB/…spiegelkwartier

usa
Level Contributor
141 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: De baarsjes

You have me laughing !!! thanks for info

usa
Level Contributor
141 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: De baarsjes

As always. Great info and so helpful

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,415 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: De baarsjes

Well, it might have been right some time ago, but it seems that De Baarsje begins to upgrade.

My son, who is living there since 4 years, noticed, that many of those small and often shabby vintage shops and galleries have closed and have been replaced by more fancy shops.. And there are a lot of new cafes, pubs and restaurants. They attract tourists as well as locals from other neighbourhoods.

So it might happen that this area will become hip and hot some day:-))!And that the rent for the flats will increase - many flats have already been refurbished, his one too..

Edited: 08 May 2014, 09:01
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: De baarsjes

What has me laughing is that Ronaldo is referring to iamsterdam! LOL

Finally discovering it.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: De baarsjes

Yes Patara, de Baarsjes is definitely on the rise, in fact it is a lot like eastern Amsterdam and Spaarndammerbuurt (West). Multicultural neighborhoods becoming more mixed and gentrified, loads of cool new restaurants, bars, shops...

The Amsterdammers already know it, and bars in both areas are very popular, people even travel from the city center to those places. Housing prices are on the rise accordingly.

Tourists usually follow much later although I see more and more of them in east... More hotels open up too.

But at the moment de Baarsjes is not quite Soho....

Edited: 08 May 2014, 11:35
Paris, France
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: De baarsjes

Well, not quite Soho, but it definitely is a fun and upcoming neighborhood where lots of young people have recently moved in. You can get there on tramline 13 from the Central Station, 14 from Dam Square, or 7 from Leidseplein.

The Mercatorplein square is the heart of the neighborhood:

opencityprojects.com/blog/…

Cool new bars/restaurants include:

http://www.cafezurich.nl/nl/home.html

http://www.barbaarsch.nl/

http://www.radijs-amsterdam.nl/

Enjoy!

Edited: 08 May 2014, 12:20
Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
9,817 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: De baarsjes

Everybody is quick to say it's not like SOHO yet the way they describe it makes it sound like SOHO. Well, maybe NOHO.

Edited: 08 May 2014, 12:45
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: De baarsjes

Hmmmm SoHo felt waaayyyy more posh and developed to me. If any comparison, then Brooklyn.