We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amsterdam -> Antwerp train ticket question

Toronto
Level Contributor
516 posts
263 reviews
Save Topic
Amsterdam -> Antwerp train ticket question

I booked my train ticket via NS Hispeed.

I'm going Amsterdam -> Rotterdam with a 2 min stop then changing trains to get to Antwerp.

My questions is the downloadable ticket they sent me does not list a time, train number or platform, is this normal?

It shows route in the e-mail but not platforms. If I go to the NSHispeed website I can see the platforms but again just wondering if this is normal.

I'm just worried about the 2min transfer but it appears I just cross the platform in Rotterdam.

Likely To Sell Out
Keukenhof Gardens and Tulip Fields...
1,717 Reviews
from US$74.30*
Zaanse Schans Windmills, Volendam...
2,388 Reviews
from US$74.30*
Skip-the-Line Rijksmuseum Amsterdam...
12 Reviews
from US$22.00*
Special Offer
Zaans Schans Windmills, Tulips...
454 Reviews
from US$124.70*
US$148.60
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
42,588 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amsterdam -> Antwerp train ticket question

It does not show times because you can take any train as there are no reservations. 2 minutes is fine as it is just a short walk across the platform. If you miss one train then just take the next.

Toronto
Level Contributor
516 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amsterdam -> Antwerp train ticket question

ahhh that makes so much more sense so I take it if I miss my train in Amsterdam or Rotterdam I can just get on the next one?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
10,716 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amsterdam -> Antwerp train ticket question

You can take any train as there are no reservations. If you miss one train then just take the next.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Amsterdam -> Antwerp train ticket question

Yes you can get on any intercity. Not on the Thalys.

Might be a half hour wait though. So if you want more transfer time, just take an earlier train to Rotterdam, there are plenty. www.ns.nl/en

Supposedly by December 2014 there should be direct intercities from Amsterdam to Antwerp again, that would be a major improvement...

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amsterdam -> Antwerp train ticket question

<Supposedly by December 2014 there should be direct intercities from Amsterdam to Antwerp again, that would be a major improvement>

The plan is to re-introduce the old Benelux train (more or less) at the December 2014 timetable change. It will run along the route Amsterdam - Rotterdam - Antwerp - Brussels Airport - Brussels (and vice versa). Because of the diversion via Brussels Airport (which the old Benelux train did not serve), the whole journey between Amsterdam and Brussels will take about 3 1/2 hours: longer than Amsterdam - Brussels takes today, even with the change at Rotterdam.

Mentioned in this post
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Toronto
Level Contributor
516 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amsterdam -> Antwerp train ticket question

I plan on taking a 9:30 train out of Amsterdam to get to Antwerp by 11:30 I should be good.

2mins sounds short for the transfer but I imagine that's pretty normal. Do the trains to Antwerp always end up on the same platform? E.g. is there no chance that it'll be on a different one.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
42,588 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Amsterdam -> Antwerp train ticket question

if it was they would not just give you 2 minutes to transfer.

8. Re: Amsterdam -> Antwerp train ticket question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2015, 06:18