We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few more questions...hotel choice, museums and Uitmarkt

UK
Level Contributor
339 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
A few more questions...hotel choice, museums and Uitmarkt

Hi,

We've now booked our flights for the 29-31 August and have looked at what seems like hundreds of hotels!

I have a short list of these hotels: Grand Hotel Amrath, Mecure Arthur Frommer, American Hotel Hampshire and possibly NH Amsterdam Centre. All are coming out at a similar price - in the region of £150/E180 per night via Trivago (not going to try to bid as this is our first trip and for a special occasion). Any advice on which is a better deal for the money/location? Any other suggestions to look at?

We want to visit Anne Franks's House and probably go on a canal tour. I have found that Uitmarkt is on that weekend...will there be lots of free events to fill the rest of the weekend? Do you need to book for the events or just turn up?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,531 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A few more questions...hotel choice, museums and Uitmarkt

Not going to bid since this is a special occassion?

You realize that the most often seen 4 star win in central Canal Zone is the Nh Amsterdam Centre ?

Not a suggestion that you should bid. You should pick the exact hotel you want. Just realize that others will be staying in the exact same hotel as you just paying much less than half of what you did.

Hard to go wrong with the Nh. Amsterdam Centre. Perfect location. Very nice hotel.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,372 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few more questions...hotel choice, museums and Uitmarkt

The American is just across the canal from the NH Amsterdam Centre and you can request a canal view with balcony I believe. All are good hotels though.

Uitmarkt is a free event so I don't htink you can't book anything. uitmarkt.nl/download/uitmarkt-programma-engl…

That is last year's programme as this year's is not released yet. It is a very Dutch Culture thing though and most performances are in Dutch. Usually very well done though.

UK
Level Contributor
339 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few more questions...hotel choice, museums and Uitmarkt

Thanks.

I must admit to wavering about the bidding on Priceline.

If I was hoping to get one of the above hotels (or similar) which areas would I be looking at?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,531 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A few more questions...hotel choice, museums and Uitmarkt

Amrath is center city zone. Nh Amsterdam is Central Canal Zone. Both excellent close in zones.

Do not use PL NYOP if you think you will get a certain hotel. You will get the same hotel as you want or a similar hotel.

That is all you can expect. It will be a quality hotel in the zone you specify at a greatly reduced price assuming you bid correctly.

Edited: 12 May 2014, 18:53
UK
Level Contributor
339 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A few more questions...hotel choice, museums and Uitmarkt

Thanks. I understand there is a risk, but I don't have my heart set on a particular hotel...just want a good quality, central hotel.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: A few more questions...hotel choice, museums and Uitmarkt

Uitmarkt has free events outdoors and in theaters. The theaters nowadays have crazy long queues, sometimes people queue for an hour just to see a free 20 minute performance. I would advise against that... And sometimes the very same artists perform out in the open air as well that same afternoon, and you can just go see it without a problem! (Every time I see those queues I want to tell the people: why are you waiting? It will be on the open air stage in a few hours, without a queue! :-))

The comedy shows are mostly in Dutch but there are also music and dance performances. And there will be loads of 'market' stands by museums and about musicals from all over the country, stands selling books, small street performances. For me personally it can fill a few hours but not an entire weekend... too much of the music and other performances are not to my taste.

You might be interested in this as well: www.iamsterdam.com/en-GB/Ndtrc/Pure%20Markt (in Park Frankendael on Sunday the 31st of August from 11am-6pm)

Cecilia // Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 12 May 2014, 19:44
UK
Level Contributor
339 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A few more questions...hotel choice, museums and Uitmarkt

Thanks Cecile, it sounds like a nice way to fill any spare time we have then. Thanks for the tip about the queues. I really hate queuing!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,531 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A few more questions...hotel choice, museums and Uitmarkt

I think it's safe to say that only quality hotels end up in NYOP at the 4 and 5 star level in Amsterdam.

Some of those quality hotels you might like better than others.

The one time I saw complaints about sub standard rooms being given out was maybe 10 years ago. That hotel was reduced in star lever by pl and has not shown up as a posted win since.

UK
Level Contributor
339 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A few more questions...hotel choice, museums and Uitmarkt

An update: I did try bidding on both 4 and 5 star hotels for a few days, but then found a good deal on the Amrath via Ebookers, with 30% off room rates plus an extra 10% off with a discount code.

Am I right in thinking that we can easily walk from the station to the Amrath?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,340 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A few more questions...hotel choice, museums and Uitmarkt

Yes the Armrath is only a 5 min walk from centraal station east entrance ( where the buses), cross the street and head east maybe 5 min walk if that you can or google map it ,, but the Amrath is a great hotel ive stayed a few times ,, liek i said before though the room can get hot in the summer(no real ac jsut climate control) ask for fans

enjoy

peace matty

www.flickr.com/photos/amsmatty

Edited: 17 May 2014, 16:49