We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days in Amsterdam

Sydney
Level Contributor
665 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
4 days in Amsterdam

I am almost “a senior” and interested in art, architecture, history, travel, journalism, cultural studies, and social justice. I am visiting Amsterdam for the first time- I will be there with my 21 year old daughter and her friend for 4 days in July. Can anyone make any suggestions to this itinerary?

Day 1 Arrive Amsterdam - walk around the The Jordaan Prinsengracht canal, Anne Frank House

Day 2 Central Library (Openbare Bibliotheek) 7th floor cafe.afternoon at “The Rijskmuseum”

Day 3 Herengracht canal “The Bible Museum", "Museum Willet-Holthuysen"

Day 4 Stedelijk Museum, van Gogh museum

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
The Jordaan
The Jordaan
9,779 Reviews
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Prinsengracht Hotel
Prinsengracht Hotel
479 Reviews
Anne Frank House
Anne Frank House
51,321 Reviews
Central Library (Openbare Bibliotheek)
Central Library...
2,846 Reviews
Stedelijk Museum Amsterdam
Stedelijk Museum...
2,407 Reviews
Van Gogh Museum
Van Gogh Museum
51,478 Reviews
Jewish Quarter Anne Frank Walking...
213 Reviews
from US$28.20*
Special Offer
Amsterdam Super Saver: Xtracold...
266 Reviews
from US$33.00*
US$39.60
Amsterdam City Canal Cruise
118 Reviews
from US$18.00*
Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,807 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days in Amsterdam

It looks pretty good. You are not trying to pack too much in which is a mistake that many first timers make.

The one thing I would suggest however is that, as early in your trip as you can, you take one of the canal cruises that operate from various spots around town. This will give you both a good perspective of the city and you may well pick up ideas for places you want to visit later in your stay.

I don't quite know what the costs are but with your plans to visit so many museums, it may well be worth buying a Museum Card - www.amsterdam.info/museums/museumkaart/

One other bit of advice. Book your tickets for the AFH online in advance. Otherwise you'll likely be queuing for a couple of hours.

UK
Level Contributor
138 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days in Amsterdam

I'd be tempted to include a visit to the '9 streets' too. It's a charming little area and I think your daughter & her friend will appreciate it. It's a series of small streets with some nice cafes and small independent shops.

You could do it on day 1 or day 3 as the 9 streets aren't far from the Jordaan.

Mentioned in this post
The Jordaan
The Jordaan
9,779 Reviews
r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
7,756 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days in Amsterdam

if youre interested, there is also the Rembrandt museum on the other side of town.

i thought it was really interesting.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 days in Amsterdam

Although the public library itself is nicely decorated, the views are much better from its nextdoor neighbor: SkyLounge bar in DoubleTree hotel.

The library only has a view to one side from the 7th floor (Dutch counting), and the view is partly blocked by concrete slabs.

The SkyLounge is on the 11th floor (also counting the Dutch way) and has views almost 360 degrees, with indoor and outdoor seating. Drinks are expensive, but if you order cappuccino for example, you get a free refill.

Two museums in one day seems a bit much to me, I'd also let it depend on the weather.

You could add a canal boat trip, only takes one hour.

Cecilia // Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
10,753 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 days in Amsterdam

If you are flying in from a long flight, I would leave the Anne Frank House for either day 2 or 3. Like Brian said, I would do the Canal Cruise the day you arrive.

Mentioned in this post
Anne Frank House
Anne Frank House
51,321 Reviews
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 days in Amsterdam

"If you are flying in from a long flight, I would leave the Anne Frank House for either day 2 or 3."

I agree. Anne Frank House is not just any other museum. It makes people think about the monstrosities of humankind, about hope, about 'right' and 'wrong', about life. People come out with tears in their eyes.

Well worth visiting, but I don't think you'd want to visit while dizzy from sleepiness.

A canal boat ride is indeed nice to do on the first day because you can sit back and just watch and listen, it gives you an overview, and you can visit places more indepth later.

Mentioned in this post
Anne Frank House
Anne Frank House
51,321 Reviews
Sydney
Level Contributor
665 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 days in Amsterdam

Thank you all for this advice- this is exactly what I was hoping for. We will get MuseumKaarts I know there are a lot of museums in the plan but I work in a museum and the kids won’t come to them all with me. We are staying near Frederik Hendrikplantsoen so this is the revised itinerary.. does it seem practical?

Day 1 Arrive Amsterdam – canal tour, walk along Herengracht canal “The Bible Museum", "Museum Willet-Holthuysen"

Day 2 Walk from Frederik Hendrikplantsoen to Prinsengracht canal, to Anne Frank House to de 9 Straatjes.

Day 3 Walk from Frederik Hendrikplantsoen to Prinseneiland to ferry to EYE Filmmuseum

Day 4 Stedelijk Museum, van Gogh museum .“The Rijskmuseum”

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam Canal Hotel
Amsterdam Canal Hotel
537 Reviews
Prinsengracht Hotel
Prinsengracht Hotel
479 Reviews
Anne Frank House
Anne Frank House
51,321 Reviews
Prinseneiland
Prinseneiland
35 Reviews
Stedelijk Museum Amsterdam
Stedelijk Museum...
2,407 Reviews
Van Gogh Museum
Van Gogh Museum
51,478 Reviews
Golan Heights
Level Contributor
213 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 days in Amsterdam

I've heard that the 'Handbag Museum' is a real dark horse, and should be included in your stay

Sydney
Level Contributor
665 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 days in Amsterdam

We think it’s a good idea to do a Canal tour on the day we arrive- what do you think about the City Canal Cruise –(blue boat company Duration: 75 Mins 13 euro)? Any other suggestions?

Also should we book the Anne Frank House ( we will be there in July) even though we will have the MuseumKaart? Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Anne Frank House
Anne Frank House
51,321 Reviews
Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,807 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 days in Amsterdam

Blue Boat company is as good as any but to be honest there is not a huge difference between the various companies. Just go with what is convenient.

You should still book your tickets for AFH online. This is what their website says:

We have the museum cards, and would like to book a time for entering the museum - how do we do that? Book your tickets online through our website: annefrank.org/en/… When you make your reservation it is also possible to click a box with the option 'museumkaart'

Tickets sell out well in andavce btw. There are currently none available until after May 31st.

Mentioned in this post
Blue Boat Company
Blue Boat Company
1,896 Reviews