We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying Euros

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Buying Euros

I know I'm going to have to bite the bullet and pay a lousy exchange rate at the airport just to buy a train ticket, but once I finally get into A'dam, where would the best place be to exchange dollars? I know most hotels will do it, and I heard that there may be a AMEX storefront somewhere, but where can I go to be confident that I'm not going lose too much?

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
5,751 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying Euros

why not just use an ATM or american express traveller cheques?

Eastbourne, New...
Level Contributor
520 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying Euros

Yes, there is an AMEX store on Damrak, five minutes from Centraal Station. Exiting the station, go straight ahead, Damrak is the big wide street with canal boats on the left. It is even open Saturday mornings

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying Euros

As already suggested, use an ATM machine. You'll find ABN-AMRO ATM's in the arrival hall and there's also an ABN-AMRO bank otherwise. Also a GWK bank but ABN-AMRO is a little bit better.

A train ticket does not cost much, 3,60 Euro .

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying Euros

ATMs is THE way to go when travelling in Europe.

But if you absolutely want to carry on AMEX trav. checks, the amex office is, as mentioned above, on Damrak. On the right side of the street, at street level. This is where I finally got rid of my very last trav. checks, bought years ago - could not find an amex office to trade them in UK & Ireland.

Florida
Level Contributor
406 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying Euros

You should read this thread about ATM fees.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188590-i60-k74124…

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,217 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying Euros

I always buy a small amount of currency from a bank before I leave home, so I don't have to hassle with an ATM in the airport. You won't get the best rate, but for me it is worth the peace of mind knowing I can get to the hotel without worry of finding an ATM in the airport and hoping it's not out of service.

Northeast USA
Level Contributor
303 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying Euros

I get some cash in advance from my bank at home also so that I don't have to deal with it immediately upon arrival. Just get the luggage and go! After that runs out I withdraw from an ATM which is very convenient.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
2,895 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying Euros

ATM is the easiet way and you get the best rate if using a bank machine - a Bank to Bank rate. But the posters above gave good advice - buy a small amount of the currency you will be using at home. Do not worry about spending $3 on a service charge to buy it - this about convenience - and you can familiarize yourself with the look and fell of the local currency. Just grab your luggage and get out of the airport - catch the train underneath Schiphol to AMS Central or take the City Bus in or a shuttle or taxi. Lots of ATM machines around most hotels areas - and who wants to waste time at an airport - especially now. With problems at Gatwick - Schiphol may become extra busy - so grab and go.

merrick, ny
Level Contributor
96 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying Euros

I am taking a trafalgar tour all meals except two dinners are included. Most sights are included. Is there any reason for ur to buy euros. can we tip the tour director, bus driver, etc with US money? If we have to change, how much should we get and should we do it at the airport in NY. If we want to buy cheese to take home (if they let us) can we put it on our charge card? Thanks for your help.

Northeast USA
Level Contributor
303 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buying Euros

Personally I wouldn't tip anybody with U.S. money unless it was the local currency of where I was visiting. Kind of insulting actually as you are in their country and they will have to be bothered to make an exchange. Would you appreciate it here in the U.S. if someone tipped you with foreign money?

I would suggest having at least a small amount of Euro’s on hand for food, drink, or tips if needed.