We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Undecided about the Museum Card

California
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
Save Topic
Undecided about the Museum Card

Arriving on Sunday afternoon (25 May), flying out Thursday morning (29 May), first time visit.

I do like art and culture and I can see the value of the Museum Card if you at least visit the "must" museums and one or two others.

But I'm as interested in the architecture and presentation of the museums as the art works themselves. So I would see going to the ones like the Willet-Holthuysen, to take some pictures.

Also got idea from Cecile's tips page to check out the EYE and the NEMO, for the views they offer, as much as the exhibitions at these venues. (It seems you don't have to buy a ticket to the EYE to access the restaurant and the roof, though the ticket is covered by the Museum Card, while it's not clear if you need to buy a ticket to get to the NEMO roof?).

Although the Museum Card would be worth it with just 3 or 4 venues, if I got the MC, I'd be tempted to spend all my time in Amsterdam visiting museums.

So I don't know if I should get the MC or just look to spend more time outside, especially if the weather is good that week. One option may be to take a day trip to Delft, for half or a full day, though maybe there's enough to see without leaving town as it is.

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
9,425 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Undecided about the Museum Card

You can go to the cafe and the roof of Nemo without paying for entrance. I highly recommend it.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,317 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Undecided about the Museum Card

The Eye Film Museum is a striking building. Have not eaten there but there is a nice terrace overlooking the water. I would check what is on there before going into the exhibition though. Last time I was there they had a very weird exhibition on. I was in there all of five minutes but I guess you have to like film making to appreciate it.

The museum card is only worth it if you want to see the stuff inside. You would need at least a museum a day to make it worthwhile. Of course you can also use it in Delft

California
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Undecided about the Museum Card

I've done that, spend almost whole days for several days in Paris, because their museum pass is for a certain number of days and you only get one entry per museum.

Would probably make more sense over a longer visit, like at least a week.

But if the weather forecast is for a lot of rain, that would be a good way to stay dry.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,317 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Undecided about the Museum Card

Well the good thing about the Museumkaart is it is valid for a year and multiple entrance to museums so even if you only had a spare hour one day you could use it to go into a museum and then return the next day(s)

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
9,688 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Undecided about the Museum Card

What Ron said.

The thing about the Museum Card is it really isn't designed for tourists staying only a couple days. The upfront charges getting it for the first time alone will get you into one for the museums.

The upside is if you go to a museum one day and want to go back for an hour the next day you can do that.

The downside is if you buy it you feel "pressured" to go see something you may not really want to see.

6. Re: Undecided about the Museum Card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2015, 06:16