We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anonymous OV card cash refund

China
Level Contributor
115 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Anonymous OV card cash refund

Hi,

Will I be able to get back the cash credit if i terminate the OV card when leaving at the airport. dont think i will be back to Amsterdam in the next few years. OV card expires in 5 years. too expensive to keep the card as souvenir with 20euro credit balance.

thanks p

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
9,451 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anonymous OV card cash refund

This is what the website says:

https:/…

Zwolle, The...
Level Contributor
121 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anonymous OV card cash refund

As far as I know you can only do a refund on a Dutch bankaccount: ov-chipkaart.nl/pdf/22246/pdfrestitutieverlo…

So unless you know someone with a Dutch bankaccount I don't think it would work, but you could send the people on that website a e-mail.

Zwolle, The...
Level Contributor
121 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anonymous OV card cash refund

Oh oke, also at the counter I see:

What to do when you leave?

An anonymous card is valid for four to five years. You can keep the card to use it again. The credit will also remain valid. Or you can get the left-over credit back at a public transport company counter. You will pay € 2.50 in administration costs.

If you wish to terminate the card, please request a form from the counter. Complete the form fully and post this along with the card to the address given on the form.

China
Level Contributor
115 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anonymous OV card cash refund

Is there a public transport company counter at the airport?

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
9,451 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anonymous OV card cash refund

You can use this address finder to see:

https:/…

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,033 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anonymous OV card cash refund

Answer is not, NS does not do. The top question on ov-chipcard says

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g188590-c119198/Amste…

"Once you have fininished your stay in Amsterdam, you ask for the rest of the money in the OV Chipkaart to be reimbursed. It's easy if you have under 30€ of credit, formally they are entitled to charge (withhold) 2,50 administration fee. Just do that in GVB office (some are closed on Saturday). If you have more than 30€ in credit, it's complicated, involving filling a form in Dutch."

So I'd do at GVB office at e.g. Central Station or Zuid station. You can use paper tickets for last train journey anyhow.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Edited: 17 May 2014, 07:07
7. Re: Anonymous OV card cash refund

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2015, 05:17