We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Nights in Amsterdam after 41 years away!

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Coventry...
Level Contributor
75 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
3 Nights in Amsterdam after 41 years away!

Hello all. I was lucky enough to have spent a few days in Amsterdam as a young boy. And now I have the opportunity to return for 3 nights with my wife (August). I want to take her for at least one canal ride, maybe at night? I am sure we will visit the palace, Anne Frank's house and a museum or two. For the majority of time we will be thrilled to just walk the streets, poke through the markets or take a picnic to a nice park.

It sounds very easy to take the public train into town from the airport. And walking several blocks with our luggage will not bother us at all. I was considering staying at the Hotel Amrath. The price was reasonable for a quick 3-day stay, and the reviews were excellent. My only concerns are the lack of air-conditioning (really necessary in Amsterdam?) and being too far from the shops restaurants and attractions. My wife and I have no aversion to walking the city all day, or using public transport. And I always prefer not to stay right in the middle of the crowded touristy areas. But it is also nice to have a convenient bakery, market and pub close to the hotel. Is the Amrath isolated at all? Is it less inconvenient to the major sights and canals? If so feel free to offer alternatives. Thank you in advance. See you in August!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,550 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 Nights in Amsterdam after 41 years away!

The Amrath is 5 minutes from the station so no not isolated at all. Plenty closeby.

Coventry...
Level Contributor
75 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 Nights in Amsterdam after 41 years away!

Great to hear RonaldoC. I think I will book the Hotel Amrath this weekend. There's a decent price right now, and I have not found any other hotels that are both central and have such good amenities and reviews. Is the lack of air-conditioning even an issue in Amsterdam?

We are really looking forward to exploring your great city!

Norway
Level Contributor
99 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 Nights in Amsterdam after 41 years away!

I just love Amrath; i think it is a beautiful and luxurious hotel!! It is not isolated at all, but very close to the Central Station. I have been to Amsterdam in the summer many times, and the lack of air condition in many hotels didn`t bother me at all. Enjoy your stay :)

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,706 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 Nights in Amsterdam after 41 years away!

I have had friends post horror stories of August trips when the temps hit 90 degrees F and above. Now folks tell me that is a very rare occurrence. But rare is not the same as never happens.

YMMV

Matty who posts here often warns people of a summer stay at that hotel for the same reason----lack of quality air.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,706 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 Nights in Amsterdam after 41 years away!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188590-i60-k29065…

Alternatives? This link above would be mine.

UK
Level Contributor
320 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 Nights in Amsterdam after 41 years away!

We have also booked the Amrath...you might like to know that we got a good deal via a Ebookers, with 30% off room rates plus an extra 10% off with a discount code.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 Nights in Amsterdam after 41 years away!

Amrath is at the northern edge of the center, just like Central Station.

Nearby you will find Zeedijk and Nieuwmarkt with all their cheap Asian eateries, cafes, bars (mix of touristy and less touristy). As for bakeries I'm not so sure, or go to one in Central Station.

I wouldn't worry about air conditioning, we rarely get temperatures above 33 degrees celsius and in the evenings it usually cools down as well. Hot hot nights are extremely rare (or the hotel must have terrible insulation and no sunscreens or something? But I doubt that).

Trams and buses are convenient, use www.9292.nl/en for planning door to door public transport.

But if you want bakery, market, museums closer by I'd suggest the Jordaan area instead, or the part of the center close to Leidseplein.

The city has changed quite a bit over the past 10 years, let alone 40. More tourists, more bikes, new buildings... I'm curious how you will like it. :-)

Cecilia // Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 24 May 2014, 23:38
Coventry...
Level Contributor
75 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 Nights in Amsterdam after 41 years away!

Well I pulled the trigger and booked our stay at Amrath. For a 3 night stay, it seemed like a safe bet. It should be quite easy to walk right there on arrival to Central Station. Cecile, I am sure we will enjoy Amsterdam. My wife has never been. And I only remember a few things from my childhood visit, the canal ride at night and Anne Frank's. And I vaguely remember my mother covering my eyes as we crossed thru the RLD. :) I'm sure we can't do everything on this one 3-day visit, so we won't try. But hopefully we can enjoy the architecture, a bit of art, culture and music etc. As I first mentioned, what we enjoy most is meeting the local people at the cafes, shops and parks.

I imagine being a local and seeing the steady changes and development must seem overwhelming. But at least when I visit Europe I always find new public buildings, roadways, trains and signs of advancement. Here in the US, my lifetime has only witnessed decay.

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
5,744 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 Nights in Amsterdam after 41 years away!

Amrath is located in a very convenient spot to get to from Centraal Station and easy to get back to from a days walking:)

You will have fun jusy meandering and taking it all in. The architecture, canals, people, vibe etc ....I cant wait for my next visit!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 Nights in Amsterdam after 41 years away!

Wow, that is one way I never looked at it. Yes, lots of advancement I guess... Safer bike lanes, more public transport, old bad areas being renovated and reconstructed and attracting a more mixed crowd, the Rijksmuseum and Scheepvaartmuseum completely renovated, a new Stedelijk Museum, parks are being used a lot more (unfortunately people leave trash).

That must be quite different where you live. But I guess the same is happening in the more remote regions of the Netherlands: ghost towns, low job opportunities...