We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smoothest Beer !

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
531 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Smoothest Beer !

Hi Beer Experts !

Spending a week in Amsterdam in July and want some advice from the a Beer experts on which is the "Smoothest " (easiest to drink / not bitter) Beer Brand ?

Thanks !

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,865 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Smoothest Beer !

that is like someone posting on my towns forum:"what is the best mexican food"

you are going to get 20 different answers. my beer of the moment when i am there

is DeKonninck. but i wouldn't classify it as smooth. im sure you will get some great

beers in the posts to follow

Rocky Mount, North...
Level Contributor
155 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smoothest Beer !

Affligem brun (double)

Edited: 24 May 2014, 21:42
Oregon
Level Contributor
545 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smoothest Beer !

Did you see this recent thread?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188630-i1754-k746…

It might give you some places to do further research.

In general, the trend in Dutch-brewed beers, especially in hotter seasons of the year, is toward hoppy and bitter. The whiskey barrel aged brews are also something of a current trend.

If you want smoother and a little sweeter, a Belgian dubbel or tripel would be worth trying. But it literally is a matter of personal taste. Maybe starting out at out a place like In de Wildeman, where they have many choices, will let you sample and talk to you about the beers, would save you some time and money and give you a better overall experience.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
8,670 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Smoothest Beer !

If you are going to Amsterdam, I'm assuming you are talking about Dutch beers. Try this place. Over 100 beers with over 30 on tap, all Dutch.

http://www.arendsnest.nl/

Same guy owns this place. I have not tried it but it is recommended on this site often.

http://www.beertemple.nl/

Use Google Translate if you need it.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
820 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Smoothest Beer !

My favorite at the moment: Franziskaner Weiss

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Smoothest Beer !

Yeah, try German 'weizener' beer, all kinds of brands make it. (For example Erdinger, but even Hertog Jan weizener is that same type of beer).

Also, beer by brewer "Texels" is nice and their beer "Skuumkoppen" is smooth and easy (in my opinion).

If you want to try beer brewn in Amsterdam then try "Zatte" by brewery "Brouwerij 't IJ", although that has a bit of a bitter tang maybe.

Edited: 25 May 2014, 17:54
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Smoothest Beer !

Gulpener or Hertog Jan for me.

Edited: 25 May 2014, 18:05
8. Re: Smoothest Beer !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2015, 05:16