We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the water safe to drink? Well that depends ......

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,228 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Is the water safe to drink? Well that depends ......

cnn.com/2014/…

It's not always illegal drugs. Antibiotics, HIV Rx drugs, and an assortment of substances you have not signed on to take can also be found in your drinking water.

And we wonder why many kids are going through puberty at such young ages now?

Edited: 28 May 2014, 19:57
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the water safe to drink? Well that depends ......

It's not *drinking* water that it is found in, but the *sewer* water. Minor difference... ;-)

It was all over the news here too; it can be problematic for the ground water and the plants; but for drinking water so far it is not an issue, those filtering systems are top notch in the Netherlands.

Edited: 28 May 2014, 20:51
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the water safe to drink? Well that depends ......

Drinking water in Amsterdam is coming from the North-Sea Dunes, where rainwater is filtered by the sand.

Has nothing to do with sewage-water.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
912 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the water safe to drink? Well that depends ......

I must admit I like hiking in the beautiful North-Sea Dunes....And there are no toilets there, what can one do???

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the water safe to drink? Well that depends ......

LOL, I think the moral of the story is: do not drink sewer water. Or water from dune lakes, if any.

@Pijlmans, I doubt the Scottish highlander cows that roam around there, pee in toilets. I think the filter systems can handle your wee. ;-)

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,986 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the water safe to drink? Well that depends ......

Pijlmans, it depends on what you have taken if you "influence" the water anyway, lol.

I can´t find the test, would like to read the whole ranking.

And did you notice that they have written that "smoking Cannabis" in Amsterdam is tolerated bot not legal:-))? I remember such discussion some days ago ...

Edited: 29 May 2014, 12:47
6. Re: Is the water safe to drink? Well that depends ......

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2014, 16:51
Edited: 30 May 2014, 16:51
Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,986 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the water safe to drink? Well that depends ......

I have to admit that I don´t care if these smoking rules are legal or illegal, frankly I don´t smoke (anymore since I was young). But I always follow these discussions with interest:-)).

As to the water control, for me it´s amazing what technic is able to do, but IMO it´s scaring too. We all are getting more and more pellucid (?) like glass. If they can see what kind of drugs, medicine, food and other things people are taking in in a city it might just be a little step to the option, that they can see what the residents of a street or even a single house are taking in - and albeit I have nothing to hide this idea scares me!.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,973 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is the water safe to drink? Well that depends ......

lot of cities in the USA..mine included, have a one or twice a year old prescription drop off to keep people dumping them down the toilet. and more and more people, including myself, are moving to organic or less toxic fertilizer for their lawns and plants. that should help keep ground water cleaner. but i still used old fashion chemicals to kill bugs..texas bugs are hard to kill, especially fire ants.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
9,139 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is the water safe to drink? Well that depends ......

Steve -

I'm not sure people in this case are "dumping" them down the toilet like you are referring to. :-))

Amsterdam
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
2,112 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Is the water safe to drink? Well that depends ......

I think you can better worry about the estrogen in the drinking water, turning men into women, hah