We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vat refund question

Kuwait City, Kuwait
Level Contributor
219 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Vat refund question

Hi, we plan to make a trip this summer to 4 European countries and our flight back home is from Prague but with a 23 hours lay over in Amsterdam before taking the plane back home. We intend to do a lot of expensive shopping , so we are thinking about the VAT refund. We won't have our baggages in Amsterdam, only a handbag as all our bags will be handed to the airlines while checking out in Prague. What are the rules? Do we have to ask for the VAT refund in Amsterdam or we can do it in Prague instead ( to have our purchases available if they ask to check it ) ?Thanks! Your help is greatly appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Uncover Lab
Gift & Speciality Shops
Sterre Der Zee
Gift & Speciality Shops
TAA Store
Gift & Speciality Shops
Polare
Gift & Speciality Shops
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
42,710 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vat refund question

You need to have your purchases available for inspection as far as I know so I am guessing you have to do this in Prague. However I am no expert on this.

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
8,132 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vat refund question

Maybe this will help:

"What if I leave the EU through another member state (connecting/transit flight)?

If you are travelling on to another EU country, for goods in hold baggage get the stamp on your Tax Free Form at the airport where you check in and for goods in hand baggage at your final point of departure from EU.Remember: No Customs Stamp = No Refund"

Source: globalblue.com/customer-services/… --> This is a VAT refund FAQ page from one of the large agents that offers VAT refund services.

Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
3,210 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vat refund question

I will read the link provided by lennybruce, but if I understand correcting, as our last stop having visited Germany, France and Netherlands, if we plan to claim any VAT, since we are leaving the EU from Amsterdam heading to the UK, we would claim the VAT at the Amsterdam airport before departing for Heathrow.

Does this sound correct?

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
42,710 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vat refund question

The UK is in the EU so you need to claim there. Are you just transiting LHR or visiting the UK?

Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
3,210 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vat refund question

We will be visiting the UK, then returning home to Canada from there.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
8,132 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vat refund question

Claim when you leave UK

Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
3,210 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vat refund question

Got it, thanks.

Kuwait City, Kuwait
Level Contributor
219 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vat refund question

Thank you RonaldoC for your advice. So , I'll try to do the VAT refund in Prague but I'll just hope they agree and not ask us to do it in Amsterdam. Much appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Level Contributor
219 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vat refund question

Your advice lennybruce is great! Thanks a lot ! The website you've sent is really great. I appreciate your help!

Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
3,210 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vat refund question

Just thinking..... could we do it in Amsterdam? And then again leaving the UK if we happen to purchase more?

We will have a bit more time in Amsterdam, while at Heathrow we have to change terminals.

Edited: 06 June 2014, 20:01