We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's your suggestion to travel from Amsterdam to Paris

1 post
Save Topic
What's your suggestion to travel from Amsterdam to Paris

My family (my husband and I, as well as our 6 year old son) will travel from Amsterdam to Paris. I can see we have 3 options: fly, train, and drive. We have 3 luggage cases. I think maybe driving will be good. I would like to hear what you suggest us to do. Thanks a lot!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
56,617 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's your suggestion to travel from Amsterdam to Paris

Hi there,

Driving with a rental car is quite a bad idea if it's planned to be one-way. Rental companies, rightly so, ask 'one-way rental drop-off fees' of upto USD 1000 in such a case; after all they often must pay for the return ride of the car including salary of the driver.

That leaves plane and train. Citycentre-to-citycentre Thalys train beats the plane and if you book it 90 days ahead of travel date is also cheaper than plane, hence most likely choice...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,329 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's your suggestion to travel from Amsterdam to Paris

You can go by coach/bus too, but it's an 8-hour journey so a bit of a slog.

Thalys high-speed train, city centre to city centre in 3.5 hours, is by far the best. Luggage isn't an issue, you only have three items (i.e. one each) and there are storage racks over the seats and at the end of the carriages.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What's your suggestion to travel from Amsterdam to Paris

All the info you need is here: seat61.com/international-trains/trains-from-…

Don't forget to click the link 'More info about Thalys'.

Even if it were a return journey, driving is still a bad idea: it will take longer and cause you a headache if not worse. I have driven on several occasions for example with a big group with lots of luggage and someone had 'free' petrol from work; or on my way to another part of France. There are always traffic jams somewhere along the way, be it near Rotterdam, Antwerp, Brussels or all those places, whereas the train just zips right from city center to city center in 3 hours, 9 minutes. Apart from the headache, toll roads will also cost you a small fortune and Paris is hell to drive in, with all its 7 exit roundabouts, one way streets, heavily congested traffic, and agressive drivers.

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,801 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's your suggestion to travel from Amsterdam to Paris

I do this journey abour six times a year. It is a no-brainer. Go by train.

liverpool, england
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's your suggestion to travel from Amsterdam to Paris

Go by train, which is what we do; book as close to the 3 months in advance as you can to pick up the best price.

Enjoy your holiday.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
2,066 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's your suggestion to travel from Amsterdam to Paris

I asked a similar question on another forum and was resoundingly advised to book the Thalys train. (We ended up booking a flight on Air France because it's cheaper but I wish we had booked the train.)

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
59,919 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's your suggestion to travel from Amsterdam to Paris

The train is the best solution. Flying is hassle, and ends up being no faster and probably slower city centre to city centre. Driving will be expensive and difficult, particularly in the cities.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,315 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: What's your suggestion to travel from Amsterdam to Paris

Minnie Y,

on my first trip to Europe i did the plane trip. I coudnt find any direct non stop flights so i had a 2 hour layover in Heathrow (LHR). After i got home, i found out i could have taken the train. The train was faster and less expensive.

If you want to know a secret. The trains in Europe are great. puts the USA to shame.

If you want to drive go for it, but for me, id rather sit back, relax, enjoy the view and let someone else do the driving.

also, fwiw, 3 pieces of luggage is childs play. Try doing 6 by yourself.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,589 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's your suggestion to travel from Amsterdam to Paris

The high-speed Thalys train takes 3h09, zero check-in, city centre to city centre at up to 186 mph.

Fares start at 35 euros if you pre-book, booking usually opens 92 days ahead. Fares work like air fares, rising as departure date approaches.

Book at www.thalys.com or www.b-europe.com and print your own ticket.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What's your suggestion to travel from Amsterdam to Paris

And just for comparison's sake, by car it usually takes about 4 to 5 hours because of traffic along the way (and because you're not allowed to drive 186km/h ;-)).

Flying would also cost you 4 hours or more, feom center to center.

Edited: 11 June 2014, 07:21