We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Athens to Amsterdam by BUS

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Amsterdam, The...
2 posts
Save Topic
From Athens to Amsterdam by BUS

Hi, My friend and I are going to Athens this summer and will be back in Amsterdam in mid-August. We found this bus route on Rome2rio.com :

- From Athens to Sofia by Matpu bus

- From Sofia to Amsterdam by Union-Ivkoni bus

We would like to ask if anyone tried this route before

Thanks

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,974 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: From Athens to Amsterdam by BUS

most of the people on this forum are sane...so doubtful

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: From Athens to Amsterdam by BUS

Whatever you do I'd also compare it with flights you can find on www.skyscanner.com

I have done masochistic bus rides like that when I was young and poor... 24 hours Rotterdam - Stockholm... 57 hours Lima - Santiago... it is pure hell, even with breaks.

But sometimes saving $100 is a lot of money. And time, you may have loads of.

But that is why I say: check whether it actually saves you money.

Breaking the journey in two and staying some days in Sofia would help make it more bearable. And perhaps stop somewhere else as well, Munich, Frankfurt?? I was surprised to see Google Maps says 'only' 28 hours for Athens - Amsterdam (probably more by bus), and 30 via Sofia. I was expecting 45 hours or more. Who knows it might not be so terrible if you break it into bits and a plus point is you will probably have great views and see more than from a plane.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,352 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Athens to Amsterdam by BUS

If you like bus rides then great. I really don't think it will be cheaper than flying though even in August. try also flying to Brussels if Amsterdam is too expensive. Remember if you are on a bus for 2 or three days you will need to budget for food and drinks for all that time.

If you really don't want to fly then what about taking a ferry from Greece to Italy and train/bus from there. Might be an interesting journey.

4. Re: From Athens to Amsterdam by BUS

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2015, 07:16