We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Music boxes?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oregon
Level Contributor
545 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Music boxes?

I have a guest coming for a visit who collects small-ish music boxes. I was wondering if anyone might be able to point me in the direction of a shop that sells better but not quite antique-level items? The little crank it yourself printed cardboard type available at a lot of shops isn't what she wants, but then hundreds of Euros for a delicate vintage or antique item is too far the other direction. It doesn't have to be Dutch-themed, either, but that would be a bonus.

Any suggestions of where we could try? It doesn't just have to be in Amsterdam. Haarlem, Leiden, Delft, Rotterdam...anywhere within a day trip distance from The Hague would be fine.

Thank you in advance for any help offered.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
1,359 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Music boxes?

A quick google found this one :

hollandse-souvenirs.nl/en/…

Enjoy - MMK

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,865 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Music boxes?

if you come into amsterdam i bet dam souvenirs, adjacent to the war memorial, has music boxes. might be worth a call.

Oregon
Level Contributor
545 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Music boxes?

Well, we tried both places with no luck. But we are having fun in the process. We're going to try a full day of wandering in Haarlem's shops next and see if we stumble across something there.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
1,359 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Music boxes?

Hi again -

If you will be in Utrecht you can check out this museum - it's gift shop will have music boxes:

Museum Speelklok

http://www.museumspeelklok.nl/Agenda/Cafe

Enjoy - MMK

Oregon
Level Contributor
545 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Music boxes?

That's an excellent suggestion, thank you!

We were indeed planning Utrecht for a bit later in the visit. That museum looks very interesting in and of itself. We both like that sort of thing. I haven't seen as much of Utrecht's museums as I should have, given how long I've lived in NL and had a Museumkaart.

6. Re: Music boxes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2015, 05:17