We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sample Itinerary for Amsterdam - How many Days for these ...

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
22,882 posts
505 reviews
Save Topic
Sample Itinerary for Amsterdam - How many Days for these ...

Thinking of my next trip to go to Dublin and Amsterdam but trying to see overall can I do both places within 6 days total. Here is a sample of what I would like to do in Amsterdam for sure.

How many Days would this take?

Anne Frank Haus

Heineken Experience

Van Gogh Museum

Red Light District

Canal ride

1. Re: Sample Itinerary for Amsterdam - How many Days for these ...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 June 2014, 23:35
Edited: 30 June 2014, 23:35
Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
8,670 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sample Itinerary for Amsterdam - How many Days for these ...

You could do them easily in two days but you want to take more time than that.

Most people who have been do not recommend the Heineken Experience. Are you sure you want to go?

Be sure to book the Anne Frank House online so you don't have to wait in line.

Edited: 30 June 2014, 23:02
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sample Itinerary for Amsterdam - How many Days for these ...

2 days.

I said 2 days but I would recommend you spend at least half a day just wandering around the canal belt and Jordaan area, bumping into cool little cafes, terraces by the water, funky shops, beautiful gables, street art, cute hidden courtyards that you can enter.... Just walking around Amsterdam aimlessly is one highlight not to be missed. You won't regret taking 3 full days for Amsterdam, or more. Hey, I've been here over 16 years and still can't get enough. :-)

Apparently some guidebooks spell it 'Anne Frank Haus' but Haus is a German word. (Kind of ironic, seeing as she was originally from Germany.) In Dutch it would be 'Anne Frank Huis' but obviously we also know it as Anne Frank House. Anyway... whatever you do, try to get advance tickets to it so you can skip the long line. It is well worth seeing.

A canal boat ride takes an hour plus the time you need to get to a starting point (there are various all over town) and perhaps waiting time.

Read reviews about the Heineken Experience. Many people like it, others say it's a tourist trap. I haven't been.

You may prefer to just join the locals (and tourists) at Brouwerij 't IJ under a real windmill, an Amsterdam-based beer brewer that make excellent beers of various flavors, and also sell snacks. Open until about 8pm. They do tours in the brewery part some days of the week, see www.brouwerijhetij.nl

Are you sure you would prefer Van Gogh Museum over Rijksmuseum? I guess if you're a big fan of Van Gogh's work then that can be your choice. Rijksmuseum is stunning.

Have fun!

Cecilia // Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 30 June 2014, 23:08
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
22,882 posts
505 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sample Itinerary for Amsterdam - How many Days for these ...

"Most people who have been do not recommend the Heineken Experience. Are you sure you want to go?"

No idea, I like Heineken though.

"Are you sure you would prefer Van Gogh Museum over Rijksmuseum"

Maybe both

Reason I think I would chose these two cities is because they are:

1) Relatively close to one another

2) Are smaller than other major cities in Europe (Been to Berlin, Munich, Istanbul and Rome)

So for an anniversary it would be a lot easier to go to 2 cities like these. Also I want to see the Anne Frank Haus as well as see the Titanic in Belfast. Dublin is much cheaper to fly to and much more to do as well. So figured Dublin/Amsterdam is the way to go. I might not be able to technically go until Jan of 2016 but never too early to think about it.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sample Itinerary for Amsterdam - How many Days for these ...

Okay so two more years to stop calling it 'Haus' ;-)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,603 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sample Itinerary for Amsterdam - How many Days for these ...

With so long to plan and prepare, can you really only take 6 days?? I was in Amsterdam last month for 3.5 days and I wish I had had more time.

Amsterdam is very compact and easily walkable so you can do what you have on your list in 2 days but you will probably wish you had more time to wander and explore.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
22,882 posts
505 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sample Itinerary for Amsterdam - How many Days for these ...

"With so long to plan and prepare, can you really only take 6 days?? I was in Amsterdam last month for 3.5 days and I wish I had had more time"

Well I might be able to go either November this year, January of 2015 or may just wait until January of 2016 for an anniversary. Honestly if I were to go to Europe for 10 days I would probably pick Paris and London since I would be staying more time, so for me 6 days would be good for both Amsterdam and Dublin. I went to Istanbul/Munich/Rome/Pompeii in 9 days.

Edited: 02 July 2014, 04:57
Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,607 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sample Itinerary for Amsterdam - How many Days for these ...

<< went to Istanbul/Munich/Rome/Pompeii in 9 days.>>

But think how much you missed in all those cities!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sample Itinerary for Amsterdam - How many Days for these ...

"But think how much you missed in all those cities!"

And how much time out of those 9 days was lost in transit!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
22,882 posts
505 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sample Itinerary for Amsterdam - How many Days for these ...

"But think how much you missed in all those cities!"

Yes I agree, there are things that I won't see even if I used the entire time in one city. I think the key thing in any trip is to see the things you must see and want to see and things that it would be nice to see.

For instance in Munich the must sees were Dachau, Town Center, Few Third Reich Sites and to go to the Hofbrauhaus.

In Rome it was the Coloseo, Roman Forum, Palatine Hill, Area Sacre (where Julius Caesar was killed), and the Forums of Augustus, Trajan, etc.

For Pompeii it was the ruins in Pompeii.

In Istanbul wanted to see Valens Aqueduct, Theodosian Walls, Hippodrome, Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, Basilica Cistern, Grand Bazaar

Would have been nice to go to Dolmabahce Palace, Rumeli Fortress, Topkapi Palace and go to Ephesus, but my interest in the things I wanted to see in Munich was more appealing. Just like I wanted to see Pompeii much more than going to the Vatican or Ostia Antica.