We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing £ to Euros

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Changing £ to Euros

Hello - this is my first time on this website so please excuse me if I'm writing this in the wrong place.

I am flying to Amsterdam tomorrow and its the first time ive left the UK - is it best for me to change pounds to euros before I go, or can I do this when I'm over there?

Thanks!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Changing £ to Euros

It is best to take euros out of Dutch ATM's. For example at Schiphol airport or in the city. Less hassle, better rates. Just make sure your bank knows you are traveling and hasn't blocked your card for international use.

Cecilia // Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6,173 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Changing £ to Euros

And if you have to exchange cash for whatever reason, I don't think its gonna make a lot of difference where you do it. If you were exchanging an amount to purchase a car, boat or flat then a tiny percentage difference can add up to a significant amount of money. But for a few days spending cash its not gonna be a world changing amount. My fave place in Amsterdam to exchange is Pott Change near the Dam, a hundred meters or so from the Dam on the street towards Central Station. I find they have excellent rates and no commission.

http://pottchange.com/en/

liverpool, england
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Changing £ to Euros

I agree with Lennybruce in that Potts is the best place to exchange £ to euros, and Cecille is correct to some extent but in my experience it depends on your uk bank and the account you hold as to if it is better to use atm,s.

My account charges me 2.75% foreign uses charge, then they exchange at their rate plus a flat rate charge of £1.75 and any atm charges too, so better to take more out in 1 go than several smaller transactions - but then I spend more!

I usually exchange my euros in advance, just make sure you have a room safe and leave what you dont need in there.

Enjoy your trip!

4. Re: Changing £ to Euros

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2015, 05:15