We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amsterdam canal tours

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
6 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Amsterdam canal tours

Have one day in Amsterdam. Would like to a canal tour. Read reviews on TA and couldn't figure out which one is the best. Is there any site that would give me ratings on the different companies?

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
8,957 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amsterdam canal tours

I don't think you will find a site that ranks them as they are pretty much all the same. They all take about 60 - 90 minutes and you will see the same sights. While I have never taken one, most on here recommend avoiding the wine or dinner cruises.

Don't let any of that deter you as they are a great way to see the city from the water. They are recommended.

Redding, California
Level Contributor
2,397 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amsterdam canal tours

As stated above - they're all the same. Pick any of them.

Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
6 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amsterdam canal tours

Your help is very much appreciated Thanks!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Amsterdam canal tours

Well not exactly the same. For example Plas offers commentary over the loudspeakers in 4 or more languages, so you have to sit through the translations the whole time, and the information is *at least* 15 years old and it won't explain what that bizarre modern building called EYE is while you ride past it. But it's still an enjoyable ride and they're the city's cheapest.

I heard that Blue Boat have headphones for each person so you can choose your own language. I imagine that means there is more time for explanations in your own language. I don't know how often they change the commentaries. ;-)

liverpool, england
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amsterdam canal tours

When I last rode with Plas - (October '13) they had the speakered commentary as Cecile describes above, but the captain also ad-libed additional commentary, adding info about the eye cinema, and pointing out his own boat moored near nemo. Second time I have had additions to the tape from them.

However, should you have any access needs Blue Boat company have wheelchair accessible boats.

Enjoy your trip - whoever you book with!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amsterdam canal tours

Cecile,

Wonder if you work for a tour company? Have read a lot of your posts these last few weeks, and you always seem to have some good information.

Orv from the USA

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Amsterdam canal tours

@Orv, no just a great love for the city :-)

And I worked as a photographer for Plas and some other canal boat companies on Damrak 15 or 16 years ago (back then Meyers still existed), and after a day's work I was often allowed to join a canal boat ride for free. That's why I know the commentaries haven't changed, I did a ride again with a couchsurfer last year and they were still exactly the same stories. And the captain we had added nothing of his own.

Edited: 08 July 2014, 18:42
8. Re: Amsterdam canal tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2015, 20:16