We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal Amsterdam Hotel

texas
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Topic
Royal Amsterdam Hotel

Has anyone stayed here recently and if so, what did you think?? How far is it to the museums and various other sights?? What was your biggest complaint or disappointment?? What was the best about the hotel?? Any and all information appreciated.

Mauro Mansion
Mauro Mansion
#4 of 378 hotels in Amsterdam
Hotel Sebastian's
Hotel Sebastian's
#5 of 378 hotels in Amsterdam
Pillows Anna van den Vondel
Pillows Anna van den Vondel
#6 of 378 hotels in Amsterdam
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
16,743 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Royal Amsterdam Hotel

You might find a member that stayed there recently. But I don't remember this hotel even being mentioned before.

I'd do a read of the reviews out there. And there are a few. The reviews should give better insight than a one off recommendation here.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Royal Amsterdam Hotel

Looks like a 'you either love it or hate it' kind of place. tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g188590-d674046…

For other hotel ideas click here. tripadvisor.com/Travel-g188590-c115136/Amste…

Edited: 12 July 2014, 19:34
texas
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Royal Amsterdam Hotel

From the reviews, Cecile 74, you are right...it is either hot or cold. I will look at others in the area as well while I consider this one. I do like the location though. Seems like it is well situated for a tourist who wants to wander the area and see the sights. Thanks for the information and insight.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Royal Amsterdam Hotel

Any hotel in the center is fine, location-wise. For example this one you're looking at is on a lively (= noisy at night) touristy square with lots of bars and some nightclubs, and close to lovely Utrechtsestraat shopping street with brown cafes, and lots of gay bars in streets around Rembrandtplein, along Amstel and in Reguliersdwarsstraat. With regards to your questions about how far it is to museums and other sights: Google Maps can tell you. Use 'Get directions' and the walking person symbol, for walking routes, distances and times. Personally I calculate everything in bike minutes so I don't really know walking times... ;-)

Like I said any hotel in the center can be convenient, other hotels are closer to museums, or to Anne Frank House, or to the canals or other nice shopping streets, or to Leidseplein and Vondelpark... there are hundreds of hotels and apartments in the center that are in convenient locations. The center is compact and very walkable

If you feel you *must* stay exactly on Rembrandtplein for some reason then have a look at Hotel Schiller too. And I believe there is an NH hotel along Amstel, very close to Rembrandtplein. Probably somewhat quieter there at night.

Pricewise have a look at that second link I mentioned.

Edited: 12 July 2014, 20:28
Mentioned in this post
Rembrandtplein
Rembrandtplein
1,974 Reviews
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
The Amstel
The Amstel
1,682 Reviews
Anne Frank House
Anne Frank House
51,432 Reviews
Leidseplein Hostel
Leidseplein Hostel
307 Reviews
Vondelpark
Vondelpark
20,740 Reviews
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Royal Amsterdam Hotel

With regards to Royal Amsterdam Hotel: I don't know for sure but some of the positive reviews seem pretty dodgy / fake. For example the one by Ramez R. The only thing he ever posted in TripAdvisor is this review + two suspiciously professional and appealing photos. He gives 5 stars on all accounts (cleanliness, service etc... whereas some others write about appaling service??).

Another '1 review ever wonder' that gives 5 stars on most accounts is Ewelina Ż.

Another suspicious fact is that a lot of the guests somehow seem to be Dutch, and all have only 1 contribution ever in TripAdvisor. To me that seems very weird for a hotel in central Amsterdam.

Because it all looks so fake and suspicious I checked Booking.com which only allows reviews from past customers who definitely stayed at the hotel (through Booking). 86 reviews in Booking, and an average 7.6 out of 10 score. So it can't be all bad. http://booking.com/d178f56a8e583

texas
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Royal Amsterdam Hotel

Excellent notes and observations. I will reconsider the place. I, initially, was looking for somewhere that was nice and had a breakfast included....not many of those around. But looking at the Rembrandtplein, I see that it is in perhaps, a better locale....not to mention less expensive... and there should be numerous places to satisfy our early morning hunger. Nightlife is not a big thing with us. We are more into the museums and history of the area plus taking in all the natural beauty of the area. Thanks all for you comments and advice.

Mentioned in this post
Rembrandtplein
Rembrandtplein
1,974 Reviews
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
16,743 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Royal Amsterdam Hotel

Another way to go about this. Tell us your budget, what you want in a hotel, and any location preferences. Then wait for advice from the folks here

texas
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Royal Amsterdam Hotel

Good idea MrJohnMd... we figure that a hotel in the canal ring or city center would be a good location. Knowing that hotel are not cheap for a nice room, we had planned on about $250 US per night or, hopefully, less. Any ideas anyone?? Thanks for your input.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
16,743 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Royal Amsterdam Hotel

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188590-i60-k29065…

Since you mention a budget:

This thread shove is one option. It's the best hotel value option in Amsterdam for 4 and 5 star hotels.

The most recent poster got an upscale 4 Star double room for $100 usd a night plus tax and then was upgraded to a jr suite. Take a quick skim of this very long thread. But don't count on an upgraded suite.

Another option s to look at the Priceline express deal or Hotwire for your dates. Not bidding but somewhat opaque. More money than bidding but far less than booking direct. You know everything about the hotel you pick except for the name.

If you decide to book direct with a hotel your $250 a night should should get you into a number of 4 stars-----depending on your dates. The list of quality 4 stars to pick from s very large.

Almost any 4 star in the center you might pick should be OK. Maybe a few exceptions.

Something like the American, the Nh Amsterdam Center, the Marriott (a 5 star), the Park hotel, all of these and many more would be great choices if they met your budget.

But for me I'd do bidding. I refuse to pay $250 for a hotel I can get for $90. My last 4 star win was $68 usd a night :-))

Some here have gone as low as $58 for a 4.

YMMV since it all depends on dates.

What are your dates?

Edited: 13 July 2014, 02:58
Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
16,743 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Royal Amsterdam Hotel

One more thing.

A free breakfast is fairly common in 1 and 2 star hotels. A very filling but very basic breakfast. Hard-boiled eggs, bread, lunch meat, cheese, etc

You can get a "free" breakfast in a 3,4,5 star hotel-------they just charge you extra. A lot extra. Most of these are big Buffett breakfast in the 18-25 euro range for one.

There are plenty of good options outside your hotel at a fraction of the cost