We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cycle transport to the City

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
270 posts
Save Topic
Cycle transport to the City

I am coming from the UK with two folding cycles in our car. We have booked at the Van der Valk Hotel Avifauna Alphen aan den.

We would like to use our cycles in the City because hiring means returning them at 18.00. We have two days in and around the City.

Although it is expensive, I could for convenience drive the a City car park and ride from there. Or, I could drive to a Park & Ride and either cycle into the city or take a bus. I could also travel by train outside rush hours from Alphen aan den which means a change.

I would like assistance in making my mind up which method would be most convenient, disregarding the cost. I favour parking in the City but don't know how easy it is to find a parking place. I do have satnav and can find a parking premises.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cycle transport to the City

I think you mean Alphen aan den Rijn?

You are posting this in the Amsterdam forum. Amsterdam is about 40 kilometers from Alphen. I am not sure what your question is. Do you want to cycle in Alphen, or to Amsterdam, or in Amsterdam?

Edited: 20 July 2014, 13:00
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cycle transport to the City

P.S. If you intend to park in a Park & Ride in Amsterdam (since you are posting in the Amsterdam forum I am going to assume that by 'City' you mean Amsterdam and not Alphen??), note that the favorable rates only apply if you use public transport tickets into the city. Without that you pay hefty fees. iamsterdam.com/en-GB/…park-and-ride

You can bring a folding bike on a train at no extra charge so long as you really fold it. (No need to avoid rush hours, although it may be a bit crowded then... unless you're coming in summer and it's less crowded.) www.9292.nl/en for public transport.

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
270 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cycle transport to the City

Sorry. We are using the hotel a a base to visit Amsterdam and only need advice about getting the cycles from the hotel to Amsterdam.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,372 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cycle transport to the City

>>We are using the hotel a a base to visit Amsterdam<<

Why? it is nowhere near Amsterdam. If possible you should reconsider your plan. Don't know what you mean about renting bikes that have to be back by 1800. normally people rent for days at a time.

The rules for P&R are strict if you want to take advantage of the €1 daily charge. You would have to take GVB public transport in to the city not cycle. Best place to do this would be at the Arena Transferium P&R and take the Metro into town. Bikes(I don't think) even folding ones are not allowed on trams or buses.

Your best bet would be to park in Amsterdam North where parking is free. see the pdf on this page

amsterdam.nl/parkeren-verkeer/parkeren-amste…

and click on Parkeertarieven plattegrond Amsterdam 2014 (PDF, 4 MB)

Then take the free ferry across to Centraal Station.

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
270 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cycle transport to the City

Thank you. Have you any experience of the 48 Euro (about) parking facilities in Amsterdam?

Are they usually full?

Can you book a place in advance?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,372 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cycle transport to the City

https://www.p1.nl/boekingen…

You can pre book this place for only €20 per day right by Centraal Station. If cost is not an obstacle to you really why are you staying in Alphen? Sorry but I find it quite strange and illogical that you are prepared to spend €48 on parking and have an hours commute each way in and out of Amsterdam. Even staying somewhere like Zaandam, 15 minutes by train from CS, would be a much better idea.

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
270 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cycle transport to the City

We are very widely traveled:

http://www.makem-goes.co.uk/

From experience we have found that one day is often sufficient for us on a first visit.

We also want to visit The Hague, an acquaintance in Hoofddorp and maybe North Netherlands if not two days in Amsterdam.

Our stay in the EU is indefinite and we may stay longer somewhere we come across. Currently we intend to leave for home on 5th August as we are travelling to the USA and Canada for a driving tour 18th August.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,033 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cycle transport to the City

but that really doesn't explain why you want to stay in Alphen aan den Rijn..oh well, good luck,,if you pass through Texas on your journey through the USA...pm me, ill help you out.

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
270 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cycle transport to the City

I am very grateful for your advice and as a result I have decided to make the 34 minute journey to the car park you suggest having pre-booked. We can arrive at 9 am and stay as long as we like. Usually we like to see the city at night too so it will be a long day weather permitting.

Sunday (3rd Aug) or Monday (4th) are the two days to choose from. Which would you choose? We could do Saturday (2nd) if the weather on the other two days was inclement.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Cycle transport to the City

2nd August is Gay Pride with the canal parade in Prinsengracht. Very crowded, but fun to watch. …amsterdamgaypride.org/evenementen/botenpara…

3rd August also still has Gay Pride (straight-friendly) street parties, for example a big one with live performances and great atmosphere on Rembrandtplein.

Mind the pickpockets, especially during such crowded events.

Oh - and I don't understand either, why you want to stay so far out of the city. (That is also why I was confused about your question... 'The City' could mean Leiden, Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Den Haag, Alphen??)