We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Museums in Amsterdam

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
12 posts
Save Topic
Museums in Amsterdam

Hi everyone!

I am going to Amsterdam in November this year with my mum. We have two days, and have decided to spend the first day at Anne Frank House and wandering around the Jordaan area. We're having trouble picking between the Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam Museum and the Jewish Historical Museum for our second day. We still want a relatively laid back day and would like do more exploring of the streets and get a feeling for Amsterdam life so we don't want to spend all day museum hopping. I know it's a matter of personal preference, but they all look so good! We are interested in art, but are going to Paris beforehand so we would have already seen a lot of art museums, is Rijksmuseum a completely unique experience that we just can't pass up? We are also interested in history and learning about Amsterdam as much as possible so the Amsterdam Museum looks really interesting, but the Jewish Historical Museum looks great too, so I am completely torn. Is it possible to do two, or will that be just too hectic? What would you guys personally recommend?

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
8,839 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Museums in Amsterdam

<is Rijksmuseum a completely unique experience that we just can't pass up?>

Yes!

Would not do two. Would spend the rest of the day wandering aimlessly about the city.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,163 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Museums in Amsterdam

tbh if you want to do two museums in a day then do so the first day after AF. AF will only take you max 90 minutes.

The Rijks is not all about art. There are lots of other exhibits about Dutch history, Dutch maritime history, Asian exhibits, ornate timepieces, even wonderful dolls houses and an aircraft on the top floor. It is quite diverse.

Never been in the Jewish museum so can't comment on it. The Amsterdam Museum has been renovated since I was last there but it was OK.

Of the three I would do the Rijks. Even the building is a work of art.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Museums in Amsterdam

[if you want to do two museums in a day then do so the first day after AF.]

Or before. Anne Frank House is open in the evenings. (Until 7pm in November, and until 9pm on a Saturday)

Shame on me, I have yet to go to Amsterdam Museum and Jewish History Museum so I can't compare. But I thought the Rijksmuseum was stunning (both the building and the collection).

Guildford, Surrey...
Level Contributor
233 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Museums in Amsterdam

I've been to the Jewish Historical Museum and strongly recommend it. I suggest that this and the Anne Frank house in one day would provide a perfect duo.

But don't miss the Rijksmuseum. I'm looking forward to re-visiting after several years.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,164 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Museums in Amsterdam

Lauren W,

i loved the Rijks.

With regards to the others, i didnt do the Jewish Museum.

I did do the Amsterdam Museum and liked it alot since it went into Amsterdam itself.

good luck

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
449 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Museums in Amsterdam

I think that the Jewish museum and the Anne Frank House are a good and interesting combination. The Amsterdam Museum has different exhibitions.

Specially for tourists there is DNA of Amsterdam. The buildings of the museum are also worth visiting. The former orphanage is quite interesting. There is also Schuttersgalerij and Begijnhof aroundthe central buildings. If the weather is not good enough fir walking around this is a good option. And yes I think the Rijksmuseum is a must.

Palm Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
117 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Museums in Amsterdam

I'm visiting Amsterdam in September and definitely want to visit the AF Museum. I recently, heard, however, that the inside of the museum is cramped and closed in. I am claustrophobic, so I'm a little concerned that it will be uncomfortable for me. I'm ready to buy my tickets online, so if anyone has info on this, I would appreciate your input.

Palm Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
117 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Museums in Amsterdam

I'm visiting Amsterdam in September and definitely want to visit the AF Museum. I recently, heard, however, that the inside of the museum is cramped and closed in. I am claustrophobic, so I'm a little concerned that it will be uncomfortable for me. I'm ready to buy my tickets online, so if anyone has info on this, I would appreciate your input.

Sydney, Australia
12 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Museums in Amsterdam

Thanks so much everyone! I really appreciate all your feedback. Rijksmuseum has now topped the must do list, and if we have time we might add the Jewish Museum to Anne Frank day. Just another question, are most shops open on Sunday? Or should I rearrange shopping on Saturday instead? We really want to check out a flea market too, does anyone have recommendations?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,163 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Museums in Amsterdam

@ Lauren - most shops in the centre are open from 1200 on Sundays although the smaller shops in the like of the Jordaan and Nine Streets area will not be open.

The flea market is also not operating on a Sunday.

@ Rajen - The inside of the museum is basically where the family hid and lived during the occupation so by it's very nature is small and cramped. There is also a very steep narrow staircase to the attic. If you suffer from claustrophobia then it's not for you.