We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquito Plug-ins

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquito Plug-ins

Hello,

Does anyone know where I can buy mosquito plug-ins? Just arrived into Amsterdam and I'm being bitten to death by the little buggers.

I've checked a few pharmacies close to where we are staying and none of the stores carry them.

Thank-you in advance!

Edited: 22 July 2014, 06:42
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquito Plug-ins

I think those are forbidden here nowadays. Probably something about the poison being unhealthy for humans too.

Buy a spray or lotion for your skin. Mosquitos adore my blood but the home brand 'anti-muggen spray met deet' I bought at DA drugstore works really well.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,118 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquito Plug-ins

No they are not banned. Try Kruidvat

http://www.kruidvat.nl/search?text=muggen

Blokker might also have them or at least a citronella candle

Surprised I have not been bitten this year at all and I live by a canal Which part of the city are you in?

Edited: 22 July 2014, 09:17
Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
240 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquito Plug-ins

Is it necessary to take precautions if only a day trip to the City centre?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,118 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquito Plug-ins

Do you mean precautions again mosquitos? Then no. As I said I have not been bitten this year at all and the little beggars normally love me. Normally they are worse at night anyway.

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
240 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquito Plug-ins

LOL, what else could I have meant in a topic headed 'Mosquito Plug-ins'?

We will be there at night but if they are not very prevalent this year then we will not bother with additional expense.

Thank you.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,118 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquito Plug-ins

emakem you would be surprised what people randomly post on the forum. You can always get some repellant from a store for a couple of euros. Avon Skin so Soft works too apparently.

Edited: 22 July 2014, 10:58
Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,907 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquito Plug-ins

skin so soft works...but anything with deet in it works best..here is the brand is "OFF". dont know whe equivalent in the NL

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,668 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquito Plug-ins

They (and most other insects) don't like citronella. Buy a small bottle of citronella oil which you then dilute with a tiny amount of water to dab along the edge of your bed. Alternatively, soak a cotton wool pad in undiluted citronella oil and leave it on your bedside table.

For those times when you want to sit outside (to read, eat, etc.) you can buy citronella candles/tea-lights.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquito Plug-ins

'My' mosquitos don't care about citronella, they just ignore it and come drink my blood. And personally I also hate the smell of citronella so that's a double no. For me the spray works best, or a mosquito net.

They started out late this year (ever since a harsh winter 1.5 years ago) but now they smelled me and here they are... (In Amsterdam, not even very near water.)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,340 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mosquito Plug-ins

eat grapes,,

dont drink alcohol,, no purfumes,, lotions sunscreen,, they are attracted to that stuff