We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

museum card

Ohio
Level Contributor
10 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
museum card

Has anyone purchased the "annual museum card"? We are going in November and are looking for something similar to Paris' museum pass. We'd like to be able to visit the museums any number of times while there and it seems like the "annual museum card" might be the way to go. Also, thinking about staying out by Vondelpark. Any suggestions on how to get there from the airport? Is it too far out?

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,927 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: museum card

We also are planning a November trip. I am looking into the 3 day Iamsterdam card, which costs euro 51. This pass includes unlimited transport on trams and busses, a canal boat tour and discounts at restaurants in addition to admission to most mueums, except Anne Frankhuis.

At first it sounded expensive, but after doing the math I think it will be a good deal for us. We are staying in the city center, but with expected cold weather in November it will be nice to hop and and off trams even for short rides.

Coeur d Alene, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Coeur d'Alene
Level Contributor
394 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: museum card

I was in Amsterdam in April 2006, I did purchase the Museumkaart and used it. It allows free or reduced admission to museums both in Amsterdam and thorough out the Netherlands. It worked great for me as it allows you to bypass many long lines at many of the main museums in Amsterdam and if you visit multiple museums it will save you money. I purchased mine at the Amsterdam Historical Museum admission desk which generally doesn't have a long line and used it to avoid the long lines at the Van Gogh and Rijksmuseum. It is not valid for the Anne Frank house. Here is a web site with info: www.amsterdam.info/museums/museumkaart

I was in Amsterdam for a week so I purchased a weeks pass on the public transportation system, you needed a passport photo to purchase the pass, it offered considerable savings. The mutiple day passes also offer savings as well as strip tickets. I will let the local's discuss best directions from airport to Vondelpark but I would say that the public transportation system is excellent and has wide coverage thorough out central amsterdam, there is direct train service from the airport to the central train station. Vondelpark is not far out, I stayed in the Museum District which is near the park and is well served by public transportion.

Gulfport, Florida
Level Contributor
612 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: museum card

Well, I have the museum card, but I visit Amseterdam often.

The I Amsterdam card might be a better deal for you (museums, some discounts, transportation (NOT the train), free canal cruise).. it all depends on how long you will be there, etc.

Paul

Ohio
Level Contributor
10 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: museum card

Thanks for all the info!

London
Level Contributor
19 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: museum card

I have a museumkaart and found it great when I was there. It allows you to bypass the ever-present lines at really popular places like the Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh museum (and always avoid Wednesday mornings at the museums, it seems to be 'school field trip day'!).

I really enjoyed the fact that it allows you to make as many visits as you like to the same museums - I don't think the Amsterdam pass gives that option.

With regards to transport to the Vondelpark area from the airport, it's no problem. Just get the express train from the airport to the main station, get yourself some tram tickets and hop on.

Northeast USA
Level Contributor
303 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: museum card

I purchased a Museumkaart for use during my trip in June. It was convenient and a good value. I didn't want to get the three day pass because it was too limiting considering the length of our trip. I really loved the Museumkaart especially because you can visit a museum any number of times if you don't get to see everything in one trip.

Ohio
Level Contributor
10 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: museum card

Thanks for the info on the museumkaart! I think this is the way we'll go. Great tip about avoiding Wednesday mornings. Does this card allow you into the Anne Frank house too?

Northeast USA
Level Contributor
303 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: museum card

No, the museumkaart does not give you entry to the Anne Frank House.

9. Re: museum card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 15:16