We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amsterdam GVB day ticket

Sabah
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
Amsterdam GVB day ticket

I am planning to get a GVB day ticket (€7.50 for 24hrs) during my holiday in Amsterdam in Oct. Understand the day ticket provides unlimited travel on GVB services on the bus, tram, and metro, excluding train and regional buses. Would like to know does the day ticket also includes free ferry connection offered by GVB? I am confused now after going through the many information on websites. If not, how much is a canal/ferry ride? Hope someone can advise me on that.

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
9,207 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amsterdam GVB day ticket

The GVB ferries are free, regardless.

Canal tours are a separate, private enterprise with a separate charge.

Edited: 31 July 2014, 06:51
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Amsterdam GVB day ticket

The free GVB ferries are free. Here is a map of their routes. en.gvb.nl/reisinformatie/…Verenkaart.aspx As you can see they do not go through the 400 year old canals, but they connect northern Amsterdam to the rest of the city. No explanations are given about what you see around you.

This is what the GVB ferries look like: …wordpress.com/2011/11/pond.jpg (or smaller, in east / west)

I can highly recommend taking the free ferry from (the north side of) Central Station to NDSM wharf and enjoying places like Pllek (bohemian cafe/restaurant + city beach, no swimming), Noorderlicht (another cool cafe/restaurant with bonfires and sometimes live bands), all the graffiti in that area.

Or the free ferry from CS to Buiksloterweg and visit EYE Film institute / modern design building / cafe / restaurant with great views / cinema / museum / shop. https://www.eyefilm.nl/

And Tolhuystuin is also a nice cafe there.

Canal boats look like this: http://bit.ly/1s64Dac

It costs about €9 and up per person for a one hour tour through the historical canals and often also across IJ river and part of Amstel river, with explanations in multiple languages about the history and the buildings and canals you see. Well worth doing as well.

Then there are also 'hop on hop off' canal buses, in my opinion a very expensive and unpractical way (long waits, few stops) of getting from A to B. Better take trams or buses, or just walk. The city is compact and walkable, you may not even break evenon your day ticket.

Ahoy'!

Cecilia // Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 31 July 2014, 10:25
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,340 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amsterdam GVB day ticket

i would have to disagree with the canalbus statement, , i found it great for my first visit,, i believe it was actually the canal bus /canalhopper , and as for long lines i have seen them ,, but when i did it i had no lines only 2-4 other people on the boat

Edited: 31 July 2014, 12:17
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,353 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amsterdam GVB day ticket

>>Would like to know does the day ticket also includes free ferry connection offered by GVB?<<

LOL what part of free confuses you ??

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Amsterdam GVB day ticket

Matty, by long waits I meant they go less frequently than trams. (I am a cyclist so I hate *any* waiting time :-))

Anyway good to hear some people do find them handy.

6. Re: Amsterdam GVB day ticket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 15 August 2014, 07:19
Sabah
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Amsterdam GVB day ticket

Thanks all for your advice and especially Cecilia for your detailed info...now I have a clearer picture of how it goes for the ferry ride. I will be staying at Ibis Amsterdam Centre and would try a ride on the ferry when I visit Amsterdam. Can anyone provide me the website for the tram routes (with station names). Would much appreciate!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,353 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amsterdam GVB day ticket

All info is on the www.gvb.nl website. See also the top Q's to the right.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Amsterdam GVB day ticket

You can probably also get a map with tram routes at GVB in the station or at the tourist info shop. But you might hardly need any trams (or buses) because the city is so walkable and compact.

Sabah
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Amsterdam GVB day ticket

Hi Cecilia! Yes I have checked the map and seems I can walk to several areas from the Central Station. Plan to visit Zaanse Schans during one of the days. Still considering whether to go by bus or train. Seems some comment that bus is more convenient as it stops just infront of ZS? Another question, I will be in Amsterdam for 5d4n, plan to get only 1day GVB day ticket, since the city is so walkable. Would like to visit the hard rock cafe for some souvenirs and I have checked it seems the only way to reach is by tram? What other areas do you recommend to visit so that I can make full use of my GVB day ticket. Thank you!!