We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sofitel The Grand vs Hotel Pulitzer

Bethesda, Maryland...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Sofitel The Grand vs Hotel Pulitzer

Any pros or cons about either hotel?? Can't decide- Help!

Elysa

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sofitel The Grand vs Hotel Pulitzer

Both the Pulitzer and the Sofitel are excellent hotels.

Stayed many times at the Sofitel and have little knowledge about the Pulitzer.

The Sofitel is ( partly ) located in two former convents, both beautiful buildings with two inner courtyards; beautiful tranquil gardens in where one can enjoy a drink and enjoy the quietness in the middle of the city.

Although the Sofitel is located in a busy area close to the RLD ( according to some with it's drawbacks ) once inside your room you can enjoy the quietness as most rooms are soundproof.

The rooms have been undergoing renovation during the last couple of years, all have excellent bathrooms with working rainshowers.

Staff is extremely friendly and professional , the suites come with a personal butler service ( no experience with that ) .

I have never been let down by the Sofitel Grand, I can highly recommend it. I think it's Amsterdam's most romantic 5-Star Hotel.

Can't give any personal comments regarding the Pulitzer, but according to friends who stayed there it's an excellent hotel along the beautiful Prinsengracht ( reviews here speak for itself )

I don't think you can go wrong with these two hotels. You might wanna check out the L'Europe and the new Waldorf Astoria as well, both located at excellent locations www.leurope.nl , …hilton.com/en/…index.html

Edited: 31 July 2014, 16:43
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6,868 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sofitel The Grand vs Hotel Pulitzer

In my opinion the Grand is a more luxurious luxury hotel and in general ratings reflect that whether it be on TA or Booking.com. Both are extremely charming in their own way, the one from its grand stature and the other from being a collection of canal houses. If in terms of luxury and amenities you are torn 50-50 then to me the biggest difference is location. I much more fancy the canal ring location of the Pulitzer to the inner city canal location of the Grand which is not far from the Red Light district and the extremely touristy Damstraat. That having been said, the one bit of the Oudezijds Voorburgwal where the Grand is on is in its own right very lovely. But as I said the proximity to the Red Light district canals and the Damstraat has always been a hurdle for me in loving the Grand.

3. Re: Sofitel The Grand vs Hotel Pulitzer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 13 August 2014, 12:39
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6,868 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sofitel The Grand vs Hotel Pulitzer

MrOther's price related comment intrigued me as I had the same feeling. Checked an arbitrary date on Booking.com for both hotels and the prices were very similar BUT the rooms in the Grand are SIGNIFICANTLY larger than those in the Pulitzer.

And WTH is up with $45 - $50 p.p. breakfasts!!!??? Does Jamie Oliver or Gordan Ramsey come up to the room to cook?

Edited: 31 July 2014, 18:17
5. Re: Sofitel The Grand vs Hotel Pulitzer

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 13 August 2014, 12:39
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sofitel The Grand vs Hotel Pulitzer

Indeed Lenny, I've been wondering myself about these bizar prices for a while now. If you are not an elite member or having your company pay for your breakfast it will cost you a smal fortune at the majority of the 5 Star hotels. Two weeks ago I paid 60 euro ( prepaid ) for a breakfast for two at L' Europe. Probably the most expensive glas of juice, fruit with yoghurt and croissant I've ever had the privilege to enjoy.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,884 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sofitel The Grand vs Hotel Pulitzer

$45-$50 usd for breakfast at the Sofitel is hardly surprising.

That is maybe $10 -$12 more than a very nice very filling buffet at the Schiller or the Nh Amsterdam Center.

I would expect the spread at the Sofitel to be a considerable upgrade.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6,868 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sofitel The Grand vs Hotel Pulitzer

Perhaps not surprising but still insane IMHO.

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,420 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sofitel The Grand vs Hotel Pulitzer

Stayed at both, much preferred The Pulitzer for location location location. And the extremely attractive guys that work there.

: )

Sunny

10. Re: Sofitel The Grand vs Hotel Pulitzer

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2015, 06:16