We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

single guy amsterdam first time recommendations please.

Jacksonville...
9 posts
Save Topic
single guy amsterdam first time recommendations please.

I will be going to Amsterdam for the first time mid september. I will be going for 3 days. I would like to stay close nightlife and shopping i suppose. Unless you have other recommendations. I will be traveling alone. Where would and what would a guy in his mid to late twenties enjoy doing there?

1. What are must sees and things i should check out?

2. Is there anything i should purchase advanced tickets for or plan for in advance as for activities or places to see or go to? (i am buying the train pass thing from london to paris then from there to amsterdam). I posted similarly in paris and london forums.

3. where is most of the nightlife and where should i go for sure?

4. what are some "guy" things to do there?

I appreciate all of your input. Thank you.

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: single guy amsterdam first time recommendations please.

It would be very helpful if you could answer the following questions..... 1) What is your budget per night? 2)Do you want your own private bathroom or would you use a shared bathroom? 3) So far as "guy" things to do.....you'll need to be more specific. Are you gay? Are you looking for gay spots/bars/popular places? Or straight? Or Bi? 3) what do YOU like to do? People watch, visit museums, foodie, dance all night, get stoned and listen to music, etc.? 4) When you go to bed, do you want it to be in a relatively quiet part of town, or with the party screeching onward just outside your window? Once you give us more specifics like this, I know you'll get a lot of useful information to help you make your plans!

Jacksonville...
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: single guy amsterdam first time recommendations please.

want my own bathroom, no i am not even close to gay no.

strictly straight. not that there is anything wrong with being gay but its not my thing. as for your #3 question i enjoy all of those things, but never really gotten stoned.

close to nightlife would be ideal really.

thanks for asking however for more specifics.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
9,823 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: single guy amsterdam first time recommendations please.

Avoid 9/11 - 9/16. IBC conference when hotel rates go sky high.

Book early - the Anne Frank House so you don't have to stand in line.

Two major areas for night life - The Leidseplein and the Rembrandtplein.

Even if you don't want to smoke dope, consider going into a coffeeshop and having a cup of coffee or a milkshake and checking it out. Coffeeshops (in my mind) are the absolute best places to just sit, strike up a conversation, and get to know people.

For lodging, consider a hostel as once again, they are GREAT places to meet other people but you are extremely lat trying to book for September. You are at a point where you need to consider taking what you can get.

http://www.hostelworld.com/hostels/Amsterdam

Outside of that, what sasha said - you need to let us know what your interests are.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,859 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: single guy amsterdam first time recommendations please.

I see that you are also going to Paris and London. I second ddavis in saying avoid that IBC week even if you have to re-jig the order that you visit unless you have lots of money to spend on a hotel that is.

As for where to stayif you look at a map anywhere inside or just outside the outer canal ring is fine.

There's also a useful guide on areas in the top q's to the right or just ask Matty223. He'll be happy to help.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: single guy amsterdam first time recommendations please.

Anywhere in the center is fine (= within that outer canal ring / Nassaukade - Stadhouderskade - Mauritskade), and for September you probably can't be picky and may have to consider staying outside the center. You've left it very late to start looking for accommodation. Even hostel beds may be sold out. But there are some great areas outside the center too with lots of bars and restaurants all over town. Public transport is dense and frequent and a bike also gets you everywhere if you stay outside the center.

That IBC conference that was mentioned above attracts over 50,000 professionals who fill up the hotel rooms and make prices inflate 5-fold or more. An apartment may be your best bet, or a hostel, or the campsites. Or staying in another city with easy 20/30 minute train connections such as Utrecht, Leiden, Haarlem.

I hope you haven't waited just as long for booking your train tickets to Paris / London. Buying 92 days in advance gets you the good prices. www.seat61.com for excellent train info.

I'm surprised no one ever mentiones the red light district as a nightlife area, apart from Leidseplein and Rembrandtplein. It's not really my cup of tea except its border Warmoesstraat has a few cool bars. But definitely very lively (also Nieuwmarkt, Zeedijk etc). But the entire Jordaan is also full of bars, and the Haarlemmerstraat/-dijk, and basically the whole city within the A10 ring road is dotted with bars and restaurants.

As for things to do, not every single guy likes the same things. Browse through here and come back with more specific questions:

What to do: iamsterdam.com/en-GB/experience/what-to-do

Itinerary suggestions: iamsterdam.com/en-GB/…72-hours

Cecilia // Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 04 August 2014, 08:57
Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: single guy amsterdam first time recommendations please.

Now I know why I had such a hard time finding a place for my two sons and me aka mom for our Netherlands trip, 9.13 - 9.20. The purpose is to honor my father's service in Operation Market Garden, which will be on Tuesday and Wednesday. We booked a houseboat today which, to me, sounds like great fun. Now I'm wondering about tips to help us navigate with an extra 50,000 people around.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: single guy amsterdam first time recommendations please.

CMD, don't worry, it is always busy, those 50,000 will all be stuck at RAI conference center. I have never noticed a thing in the streets about it. It's just that they inflate hotel prices.

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: single guy amsterdam first time recommendations please.

Thanks! Annoying, but it is only money, right? We'll pinch somewhere else. This is a trip of a lifetime so I'm so relieved to know we will be able to do what we've planned.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: single guy amsterdam first time recommendations please.

@CMD, if Anne Frank House is on your list then book tickets in advance. they sell a certain percentage of tickets online (and the rest at the door). Lines there are often at least a 45 minute wait. Advance tickets allow you to skip the line.

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: single guy amsterdam first time recommendations please.

Yes, absolutely is, thanks for tip