We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in the museum quarter. Good idea?

Ohio
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in the museum quarter. Good idea?

We're planning a trip in November with a small group of people and I've found a nice looking little place to stay in the museum quarter. (on jan luukenstr.) One member of our party is afraid that we'd be too far out and that there won't be restaurants and cafes in this area. Anyone stay out in the museum quarter that could give info that might help relieve his hesitations? Also, I've read in a couple hotel reviews that 80% of the Rijks is closed. Is this true? I'm concerned since this is one of the museums that I've really been looking foward to visiting.

Thanks in advance for your help................

Mentioned in this post
NOVEMBER
NOVEMBER
8 Reviews
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Rijks
Rijks
1,165 Reviews
Likely To Sell Out
Keukenhof Gardens and Tulip Fields...
1,728 Reviews
from US$73.80*
Zaanse Schans Windmills, Volendam...
2,389 Reviews
from US$73.80*
Skip-the-Line Rijksmuseum Amsterdam...
13 Reviews
from US$21.90*
Special Offer
Zaans Schans Windmills, Tulips...
456 Reviews
from US$123.80*
US$147.60
Leeds UK
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in the museum quarter. Good idea?

Hi

I have just come back from a weekend staying at Blaine's on the Park which is in the museum quarter. Took us 10 minutes to Centrum on the tram, but used bikes for our stay and could do it in a similar time scale.

There were certainly good restaurants and bars near to us so give it a try.

Can't comment on the Rijks as didn't go there this stay

Mentioned in this post
Rijks
Rijks
1,165 Reviews
The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in the museum quarter. Good idea?

The museum quarter too far out? It's a 5 minute walk from Jan Luykenstraat to Leidseplein, that's nothing. And if you like shopping: the most fashionable, up market shopping street of the country is the next street, P.C. Hooftstraat.

The Rijks is closed yes,. but the top part of it's collection is now in one wing and that is enough for a visit, 400 masterpieces, not nothing, is it ? :-))) see www.rijksmuseum.nl and the Van Gogh is quite close by, also worth seeing.

There are a couple of restaurants very near your hotel, and on Van Baerlestraat (near Concertgebouw , www.concertgebouw.nl )

and loads of restaurants between Rijksmuseum and Leidseplein,

(particularly Leidsedwarsstraat, even a Nepalese restaurant) ,

a very short and nice walk.

Mentioned in this post
Rijks
Rijks
1,165 Reviews
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in the museum quarter. Good idea?

And the big advantage that the museum quarter is much more quiet at night!

Ohio
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in the museum quarter. Good idea?

Wow! Thanks so much for both quick replies. And yes, 400 masterpieces make it WELL worth the visit.

We're not really shoppers. More the kind to really check out the museums and sites, then relax at night with some wine and have a nice low key dinner. Our party is interested in dining at spots that are medium to low price BUT good quality. (isn't everyone,eh?) My hubby and I would probably splurge for one night at a pricier spot. I think we all might also want to check out a "coffee shop" but I noticed from one map that it didn't look as though there are many in the museum quarter. Perhaps I need to see another map?

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in the museum quarter. Good idea?

Nope, you're right. There aren't many coffee shops in that part of town, but in the Leidseplein area (which is nearby, as mentioned in one of the earlier posts) there are some: http://www.amsterdamhotspots.nl/mapb3.html

Ohio
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in the museum quarter. Good idea?

Thanks Bas1st. To me, quiet is more important than being right in the middle of coffee shops and eateries. I'm trying to find a nice medium for everyone going. Sounds like the area you talk about is close enough as we are all walkers. Although, in late November the weather might deter us from being exited about a walk to eat, drink or party.

Mentioned in this post
NOVEMBER
NOVEMBER
8 Reviews
Coeur d Alene, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Coeur d'Alene
Level Contributor
409 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in the museum quarter. Good idea?

I stayed in the Museum quarter in April and enjoyed it very much as others have mentioned (espically the quiet aspect), the quarter is also very close to the Albert Cuyp market which is one of the largest street markets in Amsterdam.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying in the museum quarter. Good idea?

The Leidseplein with all of it's restaurants, bars, etc. is just a short 5 minute walk away from where you're planning to stay (Jan Luijkenstraat). Just bring an umbrella and some warm clothes and you'll be just fine! :-)

9. Re: Staying in the museum quarter. Good idea?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 20:19