We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edam and Gouda Cheese

merrick, ny
Level Contributor
97 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Edam and Gouda Cheese

Any tips where we can purchase the Edam and GOuda cheese to take back to the US. We were told the airport prices were very high. Thanks.

Hoofddorp, The...
Level Contributor
939 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Edam and Gouda Cheese

Hello.

Ask your Hotel for the nearest food market (best price) or cheese shop.

The are round cheeses about one kilo each.

Vic

merrick, ny
Level Contributor
97 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Edam and Gouda Cheese

Thanks. How many pounds is a kil.

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,867 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Edam and Gouda Cheese

approx 2.2 lbs in a kilo ! There are many cheese shops in Amsterdam , one of the best is in Damstraat , just off Dam Sq towards RLD.

College Station...
Level Contributor
310 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Edam and Gouda Cheese

One kilo = 2.2 lbs.

EOD
Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
179 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Edam and Gouda Cheese

Hi Iris,

Be sure the have the cheese shop vacuum pack the cheese. It will travel much better that way. Most of the larger shops can do that for you but you should probably ask before ordering.

...and don't just limit your choices to Edam or Gouda...there are so many excellent Dutch cheeses. Ask to taste some of them.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Edam and Gouda Cheese

My favourite and in my opinion tastiest cheese (but also the most expensive) is Old Amsterdam. You can also find it good supermarkets (like Albert Heyn) and the shops at the airport have a big selection of the best cheeses. Indeed Holland has many great cheeses. Leerdammer (also called Maasdammer) is an Emmenthaler type cheese (big holes) , also something to try.

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,867 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Edam and Gouda Cheese

the old is the best if you like flavor. Edam and Gouda are tastless by compasision.

Minneapolis...
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Edam and Gouda Cheese

Is Old Amdsterdam really more flavorful than Beemsterkaas (the type aged 18 months) or Roomano? (No - I don't mean romano). These are 2 goudas that I'm readily able to find here in Minnesota. The first time I tasted Beemsterkaas I thought my mouth was having an orgasm. I can't imagine a more flavorful cheese.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Edam and Gouda Cheese

Yes, Old Amsterdam is way more tastier than any other cheese. I love Dutch cheeese so I know many but nothing tastes like Old Amsterdam. At the airport you will also find Rijpenaer, a cheese which is not available in supermarkets (unlike Old Amsterdam). I haven't tried that (for that reason) but it may well be similar.

I have just found that Rijpenaer IS a 18 month old Beemster so it could be that your Beemster was actually Rijpenaer. It is served in restaurants so I guess it is very comparable.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Edam and Gouda Cheese

I suppose you know the website www.beemstercheese.com

(or read it if you didn't).

Beemster has several varieties, the best being Beemster Exclusief

the X.O. (26 months old). Can be found in central Amsterdam at Kaas en Vleeschhuis, Nieuwmarkt 6. (according to www.beemsterkaas.nl )