We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lost Indian passport in Amsterdam.

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
22 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Lost Indian passport in Amsterdam.

Hi,

My sister lost her Indian passport in Amsterdam. She was there on a weekend trip from London. The passport contains her Schengen visa and UK visa. I searched around for a while as to what is the course of action she should follow in order to get back to UK. I understand that she has to report to police (get a complaint registered) and use the complaint to get temporary travel papers from Indian embassy. How does one replace the Schengen and UK visa?

The situation is a bit complicated because she was just planning to be in Amsterdam for the weekend and almost all offices are closed in the weekend. Would it be possible for her to return to UK as planned, or would she need to get a replacement visa issued after the weekend?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,180 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lost Indian passport in Amsterdam.

Hi there,

I'm afraid she'll have to wait for the passepartout (temporary passport) from Indian embassy, and then contact the UK embassy trying to attach the UK visa to it; Schengen visa can wait until later I presume. The airline definitely won't let her fly to UK without both the passepartout and the UK visa, sorry...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,557 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lost Indian passport in Amsterdam.

+1 for what Erik said.

There is not a hope in hell of her getting back on a flight to the UK without a passport if she's not a UK citizen even if she does have a UK visa. she won't get past check in and even if she did on line check in she would not get past Dutch exit checks at the airport as you need to have a passport to pass into the non Schengen zone of the airport where

The Indian Embassy is in The Hague so if she does not manage to find it then she should contact them ASAP. Normally embassies have emergency contact numbers but you/she will need to check.

http://www.indianembassy.nl/index.php

Does she have a photocopy of her passport? I always scan my passport and keep a copy in my wallet at all times. I also store it online in my Hotmail account so I can access it everywhere.

Definately contact the police though as there is a chance that someone might have handed it in. Some years ago I found a wallet in Amsterdam which had a Spanish guys national ID card in it. I had to do a bit of detective work to find him but he was pretty grateful to get it back as he could not fly without it.

There are honest people out there.

TheHague
Level Contributor
928 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lost Indian passport in Amsterdam.

Just a quick message to say that the British Embassy in The Hague will not be able to help you with any visa-related issues, you will have to speak to the British Consulate in Amsterdam instead. If you go there, be aware that it is not allowed to take any electronic devices into the consulate, including mobile phones, and that there is nowhere to store them nearby.

K K
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
2,918 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lost Indian passport in Amsterdam.

Information from British Consulate General in Amsterdam

https:/…british-consulate-general-amsterdam

Guildford, Surrey...
Level Contributor
235 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lost Indian passport in Amsterdam.

I assume that you have contacted the local police lost property office? Not impossible that it would be handed in.

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
22 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lost Indian passport in Amsterdam.

Thanks for all the responses. The update is that she has got the replacement passport (it's a handwritten passport) from the Indian embassy. It seems that the British consulate is not being of much help in Amsterdam. They are asking her to re-apply for a British Visa. One issue is that she does not have all the supporting documents for a fresh application. Even if she re-applies, there is a chance that she might not get the visa because of the lack of supporting documents. Plus, there is the issue of delay and the high cost of the visa application itself.

She has been thinking of returning to India after assessing her chances for another day or two. It might make things much simpler to return to India and then later go to UK with fresh papers rather than being in Amsterdam in an uncertain situation.

What I am surprised about is that in this electronic age, the British consulate seems to have no procedure of re-issuing the old visa (a duplicate sticker of the old visa in the new passport) which would simplify things greatly. At the very least, they could issue a single entry type visa to get back to UK and sort things out.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,557 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lost Indian passport in Amsterdam.

Sounds like a nightmare.

K K
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
2,918 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Lost Indian passport in Amsterdam.

The British Consulate does have a procedure for lost VISAs. But they may or may not want to help!

I wonder if your sister meanwhile checked for lost passport with the Police.

http://www.verlorenofgevonden.nl/ is a national online register for things returned. Sometimes you do find things.

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Lost Indian passport in Amsterdam.

All, Many thanks for your post in this thread. We (me and my wife) finally managed to get back to UK on 27th August after 19 days. Thought of writing this in detail as it may help some one else, in a similar situation.

Once you have lost your passport you have two options. Either get an emergency exit document from Indian embassy and travel back to India or get a replacement passport with 1 Year validity and reapply for a UK Visa to return.

Getting a replacement passport was relatively easier in our case as we managed to talk to the Consular officer at Indian Embassy, Hague and he clearly instructed us on what needs to be done. (The day we went to Hague there were 8 other cases of stolen/lost passport in Amsterdam, which suggested how rampant theft happens in Amsterdam)

Before applying for passport we called up the UK visa helpline in the Netherlands and they suggested applying for a replacement BRP visa online and submitting the documents at the visa-processing center. All of UK visa processing is done through a vendor, Teleperfomance and we were asked to submit the documents there. This is just the application form with photos and police report.

The next online appointment slot available in Amsterdam was more than a week away and to get the visa processed would take another 5 working days even with priority visa. This option was ruled out straightaway.

The only other option was to go to Dusseldorf in Germany and do the document submission. We were a bit apprehensive about travelling to Germany just with a police report, without a Schengen Visa. After going through some forum postings and some external advice we decided to go to Dusseldorf and booked an appointment the day after.

We finally managed to submit the visa documents on 15th of August on priority basis and were happy that we may be ‘independent’ soon. But it wasn’t to be. On the next day we got a call from the UK Visa office about our application and the assessing officer said that we have applied under the wrong category and we need to apply under the same category on which our original visas were issued (paying full fees). We had visa pasted, as a vinyl sticker on our passport and BRP replacement is only applicable if it is in form of a BRP card. (Please note that the paid UK visa helpline provided us with wrong information)

After discussing our situation with the entry-assessing officer over phone, he asked us to just fill a new form online, make payment and pass him the reference number to process our visa. We did refill the forms again and repaid the entire fees once again and sent the visa form reference numbers.

After this point it was just an infinite wait till the passport came back to us in courier. Adding to our misery was the long weekend in UK due to bank holiday and exceptional poor shipment handling from Teleperfomance. There is no contact number to contact either UK Visa office or Teleperfomance to enquire on status of the Visa or passport return. An email enquiry with UK Visa had landed us in more confusion as they suggested our applications are on hold for verification by Home Office, where as we had a discussion with the entry assessing officer a week back. After a really ‘long’ wait of 10 days, we managed to get our passport back with UK Visas on 27th and we bid a final farewell to Amsterdam within next few hours.

A real testing fortnight in our lives, never again to Amsterdam.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
8,933 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lost Indian passport in Amsterdam.

Sorry to hear you fell that way about Amsterdam!

Very sorry to hear about everything you had to go through.

Thanks for coming back on and posting.