We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in March

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
5 posts
Save Topic
Weather in March

Me and my wife with our 2 yr old child will be in Amsterdam on March 24 to Apr 11 next year. What's the weather like during those times during the day? Will it be below 10 degrees C? Thanks heaps!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,297 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in March

worldweatheronline.com/Amsterdam-weather-ave…

Have a look there. Your guess is as good as mine what the wether will be like.

London, United...
Level Contributor
725 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in March

It could be that winter has lingered on and it is windy and wet and temperatures are on the chilly side. It's not unheard of that it even snows in March.

Alternatively, it could be blue skies and sunshine with a pleasantly warm spring temperature.

The weather of north-west Europe is famously unpredictable. A combination of a maritime climate, the Gulfstream and the Jetstream ensure that. In the UK we have a saying, "we don't have a climate, we have weather." As The Netherlands is one of our near neighbours, it also applies to Amsterdam.

Whatever the time of year, expect it to be changeable and very possibly wet. Pack layered clothing and something waterproof. A small travel umbrella, kept in your bag or pocket, is a must.

London, United...
Level Contributor
725 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in March

The weather over the last 1-2 weeks has been a great example of the unpredictable weather.

Ex-hurricane Bertha moved across Britain and has stubbornly been sitting above the North Sea.

It's brought thunderstorms, torrential rain and temperatures that have sometimes felt more like October than early August, right across northern and central Europe.

On the BBC weather this morning they were forecasting that this current weather system is going to drag a plume of cold air from the Artic down over north-west Europe this coming week. Temperatures are going to be well below the seasonal average at times.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in March

March and April are notoriously impredictable.

In Dutch we say: "Maartse Buien" (Maart=March), which has it's English equivalent in "April Showers".

Temperatures might very well be under 10 C.

Edited: 17 August 2014, 12:16
Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
9,117 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in March

I was there eleven days a year ago April and the high temperature the entire time I was there was thirteen degrees.

Wake Forest, North...
Level Contributor
239 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in March

These answers are spot on. We arrived 28/3/14 with are bags full of warm clothing and it was so damn nice and lovely for 5 straight days that we were wearing short sleeves! Layers!!!!! ;)

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,297 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in March

I can tell you looking out the window that it ain't too nice weather wise today in Amsterdam. High winds & rain and about 15C. It is August right?

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather in March

Yep, layers.

Reply #2 is spot on. And then all those weather types of 4 seasons can occur in 1 day too.

In 2014 we had a mild winter, then summer in April, then spring, then fall in June, etc... all the seasons mixed up.

In 2013 we had a harsh winter all the way to mid May.

As for [In Dutch we say: "Maartse Buien" (Maart=March), which has it's English equivalent in "April Showers".]

... we also say:

"Maart roert zijn staart" = (litterally) "March churns its tail", meaning: March is unpredictable

"April doet wat 'ie wil" = (litterally) "April does what it wants", meaning: April is unpredictable

Layers, layers, (thin) layers, that you can combine in all kinds of ways and peel off if the sun suddenly comes through. And one waterproof layer on top. And remember you can always buy cheap clothes at H&M here. And an umbrella.

Edited: 17 August 2014, 22:41
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather in March

sorry for the late reply cz i didnt get the email notification but i really appreciate your advice. This will help us a lot!

5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather in March

awesome!!! hopefully this year is as great as last year when you were there! :)