We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AMS arrival and catching a train to Arnhem

Longwood, Florida
Level Contributor
5 posts
147 reviews
Save Topic
AMS arrival and catching a train to Arnhem

We arrive AMS at 09:00 on 6.9.2014. After collecting our luggage, we will go to the train station and catch a train to Arnhem. Trains leave approximately every 15 minutes.

1. How much time should we allow to get to the train station at the airport?

2. Should we purchase tickets in advance or wait until we arrive at AMS? Is there a discount for advanced purchase?

K K
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
3,392 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: AMS arrival and catching a train to Arnhem

Since trains leave every 15-min you normally should not be worried about catching one especially as you arrive in the morning. The train station is in the airport terminal. You can buy tickets right there - if you go to the counter for ease as you may not have the right PIN card for use in the machines.

The only additional information you need is that - you may have to make a train change at Utrecht - as most trains from Schiphol will be unlikely be direct to Arnhem - but at Utrecht it is not so difficult to change as both trains usually are on the same platform standing next to each other for a good 5-minutes.

Longwood, Florida
Level Contributor
5 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AMS arrival and catching a train to Arnhem

Some of the trains are direct to Arnhem and some require a change in Utrecht. I guess I was wondering if advanced purchase will save money.

K K
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
3,392 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: AMS arrival and catching a train to Arnhem

Not really - only season pass holders (there are a few types) get discounted travel off-peak hours. They can also take upto 4-people with them on discounted fares. But you need someone with a discount card to travel with you! 9am-4pm is off peak hours. Day cards are too expensive for adults. Kids (upto 11 years age) can travel on a day-ticket which is cheap (2.5 Eur).

You can take the faster ICE trains to Arnhem as well for an extra charge.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,906 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AMS arrival and catching a train to Arnhem

Actually there are 2 direct Arnhem trains per hour at 00 and 30 mins pst the hour. As KK said its an easy change in Utrecht but with luggage and if you are not used to train travel I would just wait for the direct one.

No point in buying in advance as there's no discount. You can't really buy in advance anyway unless you use the Belgian rail site.

Trains don't have reservations or anything, just buy tickets and get on.

Longwood, Florida
Level Contributor
5 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AMS arrival and catching a train to Arnhem

Thank you both. Your answers are helpful and much appreciated.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: AMS arrival and catching a train to Arnhem

If I were you I'd take a direct train like Ronaldo says, so that you don't need to change trains. Blue signs will tell you which platform you need, or ask at the ticket desk (or ask locals if you manage to recognize them between all the international travelers)... Or any staff you catch walking around.

You may not notice the places for luggage on the trains: often you are supposed to put suitcases in the little triangles of space between two opposing backs of seats. You may need to carry your luggage up or down a few steps in case it's a double decker train. Don't loose sight of your valuables (probably in your hand luggage), sneaky theft does take place in the Netherlands.

If I were you I would not try to take the first available train but have a short rest and coffee and maybe breakfast at Schiphol airport first. On the train you probably won't be able to buy any food or drinks. After quite a long flight I would not want to jump right on the next one hour transportation.

K K
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
3,392 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: AMS arrival and catching a train to Arnhem

Great advice on minding the luggage. The miscreants are increasingly targeting people on Amsterdam-Utrecht route - so make sure you look alert and mind the luggage and even if something exciting is happening around you - such as lot of money falling on the floor - keep an eye on the luggage. :)

8. Re: AMS arrival and catching a train to Arnhem

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2015, 06:17