We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Bike Tour in Amsterdam?

London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Best Bike Tour in Amsterdam?

I am going to spend my next weekend in Amsterdam and really interested to attend a city tour by bike.

I searched Google, and found few. But can't decide. Can anyone please recommend a worthy bike tour; nice locations, knowledgable guide and reasonable fees?

Thanks.

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Amsterdam
Bike Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours
Joy Ride Tours
Private Tours, City Tours, Bike Tours
We Bike Amsterdam Tours
Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours
Toms Travel Tours
City Tours, Private Tours, Walking Tours, Bike Tours
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Bike Tour in Amsterdam?

Here on TripAdvisor you will find reviews for:

Mike's Bike tours & rentals: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g188590-d6…

Yellow Bike: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g188590-d1…

MacBike (mostly about the bikes, not the tours): tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g188590-d1…

Joy Ride Tours: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g188590-d1…

We Bike tours: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g188590-d4…

Bike Tour: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g188590-d2…

I guess you have some more reading to do.... pay attention to what people write about the types of bikes. My experience is that foreigners are not used to our heavy, no-gear bikes with pedal break, but prefer bikes with hand breaks and a few gears.

Or just rent your own bike and tour the city (and countryside) by yourself (just stick to the right please ;-)). But a guide can tell you some interesting things.

Cecilia // Amsterdam

…xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm#bike

Edited: 20 August 2014, 22:42
London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Bike Tour in Amsterdam?

Thanks for your response. I've been looking different tours on TripAdvisor. I would prefer guided tour, that benefits history of different posts.

East Haddam...
Level Contributor
586 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Bike Tour in Amsterdam?

I did mikes countryside tour in March. Definitely glad we did. Got our confidence up by going outside the city, while at the same time getting some history, good views and able to see the city from different view points. While seeing the forest and the park. I'm glad we did that tour to get us used to the both the bikes and just a little of the traffic and then went out in the city the next day on our own.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,081 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Bike Tour in Amsterdam?

In my opinion Amsterdam is best visited by foot if you want to do sightseeing, you can see so much more because you don't have to pay attention to the traffic. Especially because you have to look UP in Amsterdam to see the beautiful houses.

However, on a bike you can explore a larger part of the city...Personally I would just use the bike for transportation and walk to really "see" the city...

A fun FREE guided walking tour is this one: http://www.newamsterdamtours.com/

A while ago I made this cycling tour for GPS along the 4 remaining banning poles of Amsterdam, a piece of history that not many people are aware of: members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/2397ce/

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Bike Tour in Amsterdam?

[Amsterdam is best visited by foot if you want to do sightseeing, you can see so much more because you don't have to pay attention to the traffic]

Yep.... that is probably what all those people think who step onto the bike lanes and the roads in the Jordaan without looking. :-) Not used to (semi-)silent traffic such as bikes. Which is one reason I don't get clattering noises on my bikes repaired. It's too handy a tool against tourists! (who don't understand the sound of a bike's bell, they just thing an ice cream van is ringing or something.)

Yes, you see more when walking around and looking up, into alleyways, and at details. But those bike tours stop very frequently for explanations about the history of the city, the narrowest house, and things like that. I would assume the bike tour is not the only thing Jinnatulhasan wants to do, and will also walk around by himself.

In fact a bike tour to the countryside might be a good idea if the weather is nice, lots of companies offer those too. Very cute villages. And do the city center on foot. For example with a free walking tour.

A canal boat ride is also fun.

Wake Forest, North...
Level Contributor
250 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Bike Tour in Amsterdam?

A noisy bike is a good idea! There is nothing better than meandering through Amsterdam, looking up and down and everywhere. And yes, the only way to do this is by foot. But, to traverse the city, to be able to see more on your visit, to save your feet and body; biking to where you want to be is a great alternative to walking.

We have never biked outside the city, noord doesn't count, and would like to. I recommend spending some time on youtube looking at biking in Amsterdam. Yes, it could be boring and classified as something funny in some medical book, but I found it very helpful prior to jumping on our bikes and going. Now....we visited the city 4 times prior to renting bikes on our 5th trip. We knew where we were, where we were going, had some sensory knowledge of what the damn bike bells meant, knew where to look for tram tracks and where the most active/scary intersections were to avoid.

I agree with Cecile, a bike tour is a great way to get started, though not completely necessary.

Have fun. Be safe.

7. Re: Best Bike Tour in Amsterdam?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2015, 05:16