We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amsterdam at Christmas? Good for kids?

Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Topic
Amsterdam at Christmas? Good for kids?

Was contemplating a quick trip to Amsterdam to see friends. Was just wondering if Amsterdam is a family/kid friendly place at Christmas. How cold does it get? Things to do for Children (ages 1 and 4)?

Thanks.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
9,691 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amsterdam at Christmas? Good for kids?

<Was just wondering if Amsterdam is a family/kid friendly place at Christmas>

Yes - Very much so.

<How cold does it get?>

If you are a "Brit", the weather will be about the same.

<Things to do for Children (ages 1 and 4)?>

In the search box immediately above your post, type in"activities for kids" and you will get pages and pages of threads covering the subject.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amsterdam at Christmas? Good for kids?

The Brits and their splendid isolation?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amsterdam at Christmas? Good for kids?

you can always take a day trip or over night to Cologne for the xmas markets

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,335 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amsterdam at Christmas? Good for kids?

If you have friends here did you ask them what it is like? Amsterdam is friendly all year round and it will make a change from being bombarded by fake Santa's and Christmas carol singers.

Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Amsterdam at Christmas? Good for kids?

No I didn't ask my friends because I am sure they would say it's fabulous! I was thinking either Christmas or Easter since I have to work around school holidays. I don't like the fake Santa's either but the children enjoy lots of lights and Christmas trees etc, it's for them that I'm asking. I enjoy pretty much anything I haven't experienced before.

Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Amsterdam at Christmas? Good for kids?

Thank you

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
9,691 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Amsterdam at Christmas? Good for kids?

< the children enjoy lots of lights and Christmas trees etc>

Not so much of that.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,357 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amsterdam at Christmas? Good for kids?

If your children would like the "typical" Christmas atmosphere, with Christmas markets, lights, decoration and Christmas songs all around you should perhaps take the advice of matty223 and consider a day trip to either Cologne, Düsseldorf or to Oberhausen Centro (the closest one).

But perhaps they just enjoy the stalls at Damrak ASO...

Edited: 22 August 2014, 09:09
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,335 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Amsterdam at Christmas? Good for kids?

>>No I didn't ask my friends because I am sure they would say it's fabulous! <<

If they live here then I bet they wouldn't unless they don't like Christmas because it's not that Christmassy at all. People come here to escape Christmas.

TheHague
Level Contributor
928 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Amsterdam at Christmas? Good for kids?

As a Brit living in Holland, I love spending Christmas here rather than the UK, simply because it is so refreshingly free of all the Christmas kitsch and rubbish found at home. Ron is spot on when he says Holland, Amsterdam included, is not at all Christmassy. It gets cold here, but you're more likely to find snow in England than Amsterdam at that time of the year, indeed at any time of the year. Holland has no tradition of Christmas markets. Kids get their presents on December 5, not on Christmas Day. People eat their Christmas dinner in the evening on December 24.

People celebrate Christmas here of course, but the emphasis is on spending time with family, rather than the vulgar consumer splurge you'd find in the UK or USA.