We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lads Trip Before Christmas - Amsterdam, Berlin, or Prague?

Perth, Australia
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Lads Trip Before Christmas - Amsterdam, Berlin, or Prague?

Myself and a few mates are returning from Australia to Ireland for Christmas and are thinking of stopping off for a few days in a European city on the way through (17th - 20th December). Having never been to any of the 3 cities mentioned above I was wondering if anyone can recommend which would be best at that time of year. We're all in our mid twenties so obviously good nightlife is important. Would like to get a proper look around the city as well though. Happy to consider any other suggestions apart from the 3 cities mentioned above. Advice on where to stay, things to do, pubs/clubs to visit, etc would be much appreciated. Cheers!

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,744 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lads Trip Before Christmas - Amsterdam, Berlin, or Prague?

My three favourite cities in Europe. Difficult to make a call.

Amsterdam is the most expensive of the three but the easiest to get to/from but unique and the most chilled.

Prague is the prettiest great cheap beer and food.

Berlin is arguably the most interesting city in Europe at the moment with great nightlife and fascinating recent history.

Subject to travel time and costs I'd probably lean towards Berlin but there is not a lot in it.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lads Trip Before Christmas - Amsterdam, Berlin, or Prague?

I agree with Brain's descriptions.

The weather might be an issue too. In Prague and Berlin you have a good chance of crispy cold weather and snow. In Amsterdam more likely it will be cool but rainy or stormy, even if it's not raining our high humidity and sea climate can *feel* a lot colder (it chills you to the bone) than actual crispy colder cold.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lads Trip Before Christmas - Amsterdam, Berlin, or Prague?

By the way, if the nightlife means beer in bars, you can find that anywhere. But if you mean the best deejays, the coolest parties, the edgiest (hipster) fashion and arty new try-outs... then Berlin is your place to be. Berlin is a few years ahead of Amsterdam when it comes to art, edginess, fashion and such. And it has bigger nightclubs, for example Berghain. Also, it is cheaper. And as said, has loads of interesting things to see and do as well.

Don't get me wrong, I am absolutely in love with Amsterdam and would not be living here otherwise. And you can have a great time here. But if artiness and such are important to you, Berlin is the scene.

Cecilia // Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/berlintips.htm

Perth, Australia
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Lads Trip Before Christmas - Amsterdam, Berlin, or Prague?

Cheers folks! The fact that Amsterdam is most convenient as far as flight connections go, as well as the fact that it sounds like an awesome city, we're leaning towards it at the minute. Any suggestions on where is best to stay? Would prefer a cheap hotel over a hostel. Obviously somewhere very central would be ideal.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lads Trip Before Christmas - Amsterdam, Berlin, or Prague?

Anywhere in the center is fine, or even just outside the center. Have a look at the 'Top Questions' on the top right of the page in the Amsterdam forum for areas, tips for cheap hotels and more. You could also consider an apartment.

And yes, Amsterdam is a great place to visit! In December we have the Light Festival, little ice skating rinks (and a real Olympic size one in eastern Amsterdam with nice cafe too), a small Christmas fair. And of course the museums, beautiful canals, cozy brown bars etc.

Edited: 27 August 2014, 08:25
6. Re: Lads Trip Before Christmas - Amsterdam, Berlin, or Prague?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2015, 05:15