We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do at night if not smoking or drinking?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
61 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
What to do at night if not smoking or drinking?

My husband and I have been to Amsterdam before and are returning for a long layover next Friday. I'm pregnant so I will not be smoking or drinking, but we are open minded and not offended by smoking/drinking/red light district/etc. We land at 7 PM and take off the next morning at 11:00 AM. We have dinner reservations at tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g188590-d6…

and were looking for something to do after dinner. Any recommendations? Any quirky museums in the red light district open late? Any places to get stroopwaffles late at night? Any shops open on a Friday late?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,898 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do at night if not smoking or drinking?

Hash museum, cannabis college, a live sex show, the sex museum?

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,907 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do at night if not smoking or drinking?

sit in room and watch spanktravision...plenty to do..after dinner just walk around the pretty canals..cross the amstel on the skinny bridge...see the red light district at night in all its glory

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do at night if not smoking or drinking?

Go to a bar and drink something non-alcoholic?

Cinema? Festival? Evening stroll? Music performance, dance performance?

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,023 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do at night if not smoking or drinking?

The original Sex Museum on Rokin is really a serious museum. The bottom floor has many objects arranged by Cultures, Japanese, Chinese, Persian, African, European etc.then by timeline, like Medieval, ancient, contemporary. So it's like a history of human sexual behavior through time.

The massive rusty cages called chastity belts are quite a horrifying eye-opener. The upper floors have an extensive display of paintings and sculpture and photographs, then postcards and early film, and lots more. On the top floor everyone get their picture taken sitting on the giant purple Member. The carnival stuff near the entrance is my favorite, and there is also a restricted area for those who do not want to visit beyond their comfort level so no one has to suffer with an unwanted image involving farm animals or amputees burned into their psyche forever.

Cheers,

Sunny

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,907 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do at night if not smoking or drinking?

farm animals?...some folks in east texas would stand in line for that exhibit

Edited: 26 August 2014, 19:03
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
61 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do at night if not smoking or drinking?

Thank you for the fabulous replies guys! Definitely have given me lots of great ideas! A follow up question (if anyone is still reading) - are jeans generally acceptable in the evening or should we dress up ? I didn't dine in any nice restaurants last time I was there so I'm not sure if people dress up for dinner much.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
8,732 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do at night if not smoking or drinking?

Jeans are fine. Amsterdam is very casual.

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,023 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do at night if not smoking or drinking?

Oh, I forgot !! On Friday nights the Van Gogh Museum has some type of music venue. You can enjoy the art at the same time and it's cheaper than a regular admittance.

Cheers Again,

Sunny

New York City
Level Contributor
4,802 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do at night if not smoking or drinking?

I saw some new play advertised about Anne Frank. I saw the billboards everywhere

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,907 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do at night if not smoking or drinking?

anne frank: the musical..but i hear it is in dutch