We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM Machines

merrick, ny
Level Contributor
97 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
ATM Machines

I have a visa and mastercard debit card. Can both of these be used in the ATM machines? How can I find out which can be used in the ATM machines in Netherlands. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Likely To Sell Out
Keukenhof Gardens and Tulip Fields...
1,722 Reviews
from US$74.20*
Zaanse Schans Windmills, Volendam...
2,389 Reviews
from US$74.20*
Skip-the-Line Rijksmuseum Amsterdam...
12 Reviews
from US$22.00*
Special Offer
Zaans Schans Windmills, Tulips...
454 Reviews
from US$124.60*
US$148.50
Netherlands
Level Contributor
364 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ATM Machines

I am not entirely sure about Mastercard but VISA can be used in EVERY ATM in the Netherlands, a few hundred in Amsterdam

and 850.000 in the whole world.

In other machines like buying train tickets it is often not possible and also a large supermarket chain like Albert Heyn does not take them.

Mentioned in this post
merrick, ny
Level Contributor
97 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ATM Machines

Vanderveldenton: Thanks for your reply. Are you saying Albert Hein won't take credit cards for purchases? Any tips where I can purchase Gouda and Edam cheese to take bach to the United States.c

Mentioned in this post
Edam
Edam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Netherlands
Level Contributor
364 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ATM Machines

Gouda and Edam cheese (sealed) can be found in every supermarket, Albert Heyn has them (8,59 Euro for a 2 lbs round, sealed Edam). A big one is behind the Palace on the Dam, but they are everywhere. You'll have to pay cash.

But the best cheeses are the old ones, like Old Amsterdam, much much tastier. Young Gouda and Edam are rather tasteless in comparison, but an old Gouda is also tasty (not like Old Amsterdam though). The younger the cheaper though.

Cheeses are available in all sorts of ages and tastes, like with herbs, cummin, pepper. Taste them, most cheese shops will let you taste a bit.

Mentioned in this post
Edam
Edam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
merrick, ny
Level Contributor
97 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ATM Machines

thanks for your response. We are staying at Novotel in Amsteradam. Are there any supermarkets near there that we can buy the cheese? Are we better off purchasing it in a supermarket or at a cheese factory. Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
Novotel
Novotel
9 Reviews
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
merrick, ny
Level Contributor
97 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ATM Machines

I tried to do a conversion to see how much 8,59 is in US dollars but it came out $1,000 US and I know that couldn't be correct. Do you know how much it is in US money and how I can figure it out? THanks.

Netherlands
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: ATM Machines

go to http://www.x-rates.com/calculator.html , there you can convert euros into dollars

merrick, ny
Level Contributor
97 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ATM Machines

Flying Dutchman: I went to that website and put in 859 euros and it say in US dollars - $1,095.82. What am I doing wrong. Thanks

Florida
Level Contributor
406 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ATM Machines

I came up with $10.96.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ATM Machines

>>> iris

€8,59 means 8 euros and 59 cents - not 859 euros. I think that's maybe where you've gone wrong.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ATM Machines

Does your debit card have a Maestro or Cirrus logo on it? If so, it can be used in nearly all ATMs of one of the large banks like ABN AMRO, ING, Fortis, Postbank, etc.