We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cigarette Smoke in Amsterdam

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Cigarette Smoke in Amsterdam

Hello, My husband and I are thinking of visiting Amsterdam and surrounding cities next August, but I have read that cigarette smoke is unavoidable in The Netherlands. I have a strong sensitivity to cigarette smoke, so this makes me wonder if we should go. So how bad is it? Will I be able to find restaurants that are smoke-free? Will there be smoking in museums and other attractions? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,248 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cigarette Smoke in Amsterdam

Hi Audrey,

Any larger restaurant (> 50-100 guests) usually has a smokefree section. So ask for it before entering.

Most of the public buildings are completely smokefree now; even on outside railway platforms officially smoking is confined to a small section of the platform which is a bit further from stairs/lifts.

So yes, you can not COMPLETELY avoid. But situation is not much worse (for nonsmokers, that is) than e.g. UK or USA...

Have a nice time,

<Erik> & [Sandya] - avid nonsmokers

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
574 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cigarette Smoke in Amsterdam

We were in Amsterdam last week and did have smokers around us during a couple of meals. Nothing too oppressive though. The good thing is you will find LOTS of outdoor seating in August so you can avoid anything too smokey.

Don't miss Amsterdam! I prefer it to Paris and would love to go back.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cigarette Smoke in Amsterdam

The Ibis Hotel next to Central Station is completely smoke-free and so is their restaurant. That's at least one. :-) I believe the new Moevenpick Hotel is smoke-free as well, but I'm not 100% sure. As Erik said, smoking in museums etc. is strictly prohibited so no worries there.

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,866 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cigarette Smoke in Amsterdam

hi audrey , if you do a forum search you will find a list of no smoking restaurants in Amsterdam... geoff

5. Re: Cigarette Smoke in Amsterdam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2009, 05:28