We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

the amsterdam card

East Mids, UK
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
the amsterdam card

I am going to amsterdam next week for a long weekend and was wondering which is the best way for buying the amsterdam card.

I have seen it on the internet for $66.40 each for 72 hours (roughly about £36) and whats happens is that you print off the redemption voucher and exchange it at the tourist information board when arriving in the airport. i'm abit dubious about this and was just wondering if anyone's done this before and how much does it cost if you just went to the desk when you arrive?

Anyone help please

thanks

shell

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: the amsterdam card

http://www.amsterdamtourist.nl/en offers this at 53 euros online or at the offices. It doesn't seem there is much of a discount for online booking. I would pick one up in the Airport Arrival hall 2 or the Centraal Rail Station.

Meningie, Australia
Level Contributor
331 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: the amsterdam card

What is the amsterdam card and what do you get for it?

Regards Troy

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,453 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: the amsterdam card

We picked ours up at the Tourist Information Office right outside Central Station for 53 euros each. It was very easy. If you have to go to the office with your voucher to pick it up why not just buy it when you get there? Don't pay more than 53 euros.

For the other poster the IAmsterdam card allows entry to many museums, a canal boat tour and unlimited use of trams and buses. I believe the website is www.iamsterdam.nl, or just google iamsterdam. It has all the info on what is included. Unless you are planning to see a lot of museums and use public transportation a lot it is probably not wirth the cost. It did give us value for what we did.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,340 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: the amsterdam card

i was in Amsterdam in DEC, and my Friend told me it wasnt worth it either most of the time you walk or your only using one zone (1.60 euro)

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,453 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: the amsterdam card

Matty,

We got our money's worth out of the IAmsterdam card because we visited a lot of museums and also used it for the canal tour.

Because the transit pass comes along with the museum pass we used the trams more than we would have if we did not have an unlimited pass.

We did lots of walking, but it was nice to hop on a tram even for a short ride in the cold weather and to save our legs for more walking. That said, many people who visit Amsterdam and stay in the center may never use the tram.

Guide books list the price of entry to museums, so it is not difficult to add up the cost of paying for individual entry to the museums you want to see and compare that to the cost of the IAmsterdam card. We added the cost of a 3 day transit pass to the cost of museum entry because we knew we wanted the transit pass. For us the IAmsterdam card provided good value, but it would not for everyone.

Meningie, Australia
Level Contributor
331 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: the amsterdam card

Can you use the transport part of it to get to and from Rotterdam?

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,453 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: the amsterdam card

The transit pass is good only within Amsterdam for trams, buses and subway.

East Mids, UK
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: the amsterdam card

Thanks for your responses.

We are the other side of vondelpark (not the side nearest to the centre, staying at the Hem Hotel), so i should imagine that we may be better purchasing this card???

I think we are only intending to visit a couple of museums and am now wondering whats best to do. How much are the trams, it is it a standard day cost??

help

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: the amsterdam card

If you're only going to visit a couple of museums, it's probably more economical to buy a regular 1-4 day public transport ticket (if you don't want the hassle of buying loose tickets or strip cards). For instance: a 1 day pass will cost you € 6,50. See for more info: gvb.nl/english/…GVB-24-hours-ticket.html

East Mids, UK
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: the amsterdam card

Cheers for your response bas1st. Will had a look at the website you have given me

shell

x