We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amsterdam to Edinburgh

Florida
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Amsterdam to Edinburgh

I'm having a tough time deciding what to do in July. I live in Orlando, Florida. I want badly to see Amsterdam and perhaps stay in Haarlem. I also want to spend a few days in Edinburgh, but I'm not sure if that sort of trip is feasible. I am thinking 10 days total.

Any ideas on how to make this trip? Fly to Edinburgh and then Amsterdam and then a train to Haarlem?

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amsterdam to Edinburgh

www.easyjet.com flies Edinburgh-Amsterdam VERY cheaply .

From Amsterdam it is 15 minutes by train to Haarlem.

the Netherlands
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amsterdam to Edinburgh

You can also travel by boat from Ijmuiden ( very close to Haarlem and Amsterdam ) to Newcastle or the other way round. Search for dfds seaways on the internet, that 's the company that runs the boat. I'm sure you will be able to get from Newcastle to Edinburgh by train ( or viceversa )

Amsterdam airport ( Schiphol ) has a train connection with Haarlem and if I'm not mistaking also a bus connection. I could find it out for you if you like. Ofcourse you could also travel by taxi.

Diana

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,309 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amsterdam to Edinburgh

The bus connection is the 300 bus to Haarlem, takes about 30 minutes and costs €5,60 each way. Bus stop is right outside the airport.

KLM also fly Edinburgh to Amsterdam but they are usually dearer. Worth checking their web site to see if there are any bargains.

www.klm.com

www.easyjet.com

Flight takes less than one hour.

Vleuten, The...
Level Contributor
273 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amsterdam to Edinburgh

You might want to try to combine your trip:

Probably the best thing is to travel from MCO to AMS and from AMS via Edinburgh back to MCO.

I know Martinair (Dutch airline) flies from MCO directly to AMS but the rest if of the trip might be expensive as Martinair doesn't fly to the UK/Edinburgh.

You probably want to check www.ba.com or www.klm.com for good alternatives altough I assume Delta has some good round-trips as well.

Pasadena, California
Level Contributor
429 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amsterdam to Edinburgh

Hey Holly,

The best advice I have so far is regarding the travel from one place to another:

KLM has direct flights at convenient times of day, but they are very expensive.

Easy Jet is cheap, but you get in around 9pm

British Air, has many flights, at convenient times and are inexpensive, but they stop in London, and that usually adds 2+hrs to the flight by way of a plane change

If you take a train to Glasgow from Edinburgh (45min), there are better flights, to Amsterdam from there; both cheaper and more convenient in terms of arrival time; but you have a train ride to add to your travel time.

You should also look at options from Edinburgh to The Hague, or Rotterdam and then taking a train to Amsterdam.

Good Luck!

~m

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,309 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amsterdam to Edinburgh

Forget BA, there are no direct flights between EDI and AMS and there's no point in going via London and adding another 2 hours plus on a one hour journey.

There are two airlines that fly between the two cities, Easyjet and KLM as I mentioned previously. Easyjet will be the cheapest so I would do as suggested and fly MCO to AMS then do Easyjet to pop over to Edinburgh.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,309 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Amsterdam to Edinburgh

And by the way, there are no flights between Edinburgh and The Hague or Rotterdam

8. Re: Amsterdam to Edinburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 02:15
Get answers to your questions about Haarlem