We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tulip Fields around Keukenhof

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
55 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Tulip Fields around Keukenhof

I will be visiting Keukenhof garden in last week of April. I missed it last year so very excited about this. Does anyone know if there are any tulip fields that can also be visited? I am an amateur photographer and would like an opportunity to take photos of tulips fields as well. By tulip fields I am imagining a vast area covered with colorful tulip bulbs. I will be taking the combo ticket from Schiphol.

Thanks,

S.P

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
55 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Tulip Fields around Keukenhof

Abhishek,

I went there last year in last week of April and the tulips were in full bloom. It was stunning sight. I am a photographer myself and I liked the blooming flowers better.

As for windmills, there is a windmill in the garden and there is field behind it. But usually its very crowded. We rented a bike and took a ride around the garden. I dont remember seeing any windmills with field in the background.

Only advice I would give is, Nina has posted a map somewhere. Use that map, you won't have to purchase a map at the garden. It will save you a couple of euros.

Hope it helps. Enjoy your trip.

Sandeep

London, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Tulip Fields around Keukenhof

Thanks Sandeep for your valuable inputs. Now it will be easy for me to do the planning. If I need any other info or suggestion will get in touch with you. Thanks once again.

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
1,110 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Tulip Fields around Keukenhof

Here is the map from 2010. every year the flower fields are different. but this is a general map to find most of them.

flickr.com/photos/…set-72157623787401449

Nina

London, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Tulip Fields around Keukenhof

Hi Nina, Thanks for the reply and the map. I can see many flower fields around Keukenhof as marked in green circle in the map. So If I visit those areas which I believe is outside the garden area, what is the convinient way to visit those places. I know cycle or bike hire is one of the option. Can I visit them in a car, if I hire at Amsterdam or Lisse.

Will there be any windmills in those areas or some other area along with tulip fields apart from the one at Keukenhof.

Abhishek

Edited: 22 January 2013, 15:42
The Netherlands
Level Contributor
1,110 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Tulip Fields around Keukenhof

I would hire a bicycle and ride along the flower fields. It is much easier to stop and enjoy (and smell ;-)) the flowers. It is much easier to park a bike than to park a car along these roads.

Bicycles can be rent at the Keukenhof and if you are traveling in a weekend rent your bike (it is for a day) before you enter the Keukenhof. Than park your bike in the bicycle park (take a picture to remember which bike ;-)) and enjoy Keukenhof. When you are finished you can drive around by bike. During weekends the line for renting a bike can be very (!) long especially if you are traveling during easter or parade weekend.

more information about renting a bike: www.keukenhof.nl/en/535/bike-rental.html

As far as I know the only windmill next to the flower fields is at Keukenhof. But maybe some other Tripadvisor posters like Cees know if there is another windmill around. (I would like to know too :-))

renting a car is easier in Amsterdam than in Lisse, or google car rental in lisse to find one day options for car rental.

It is very easy to travel to Keukenhof by public transport. you don't have to hire a car for this.

Nina

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Tulip Fields around Keukenhof

We will be there around April 22, 2014. Will this be early enough to see the fields of tulips before they are cut? When is parade day in 2014? Sounds like we should avoid weekends and Easter for less crowds?

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
1,110 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Tulip Fields around Keukenhof

I think 22 april will be fine. Cutting the heads of the tulips generally starts around 30th of april.

Parade day 2014 will be the 3rd of May. The original date was the 26th of april but we will celebrate Kings Day in 2014 see http://bloemencorso-bollenstreek.nl/en/ for more information and the press release (in Dutch so use translate.google.com) about the reschedule of the flower parade bloemencorso-bollenstreek.nl/nl/…

Edited: 16 February 2013, 06:34
Lexington, KY
Level Contributor
87 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Tulip Fields around Keukenhof

I plan to visit keukenhof on 16 or 17 of april. hopefully tulips bloom during that time..any forecast as of now or would it be too early to say ? how's the weather this year? mild/harsh winter so far??

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
1,110 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Tulip Fields around Keukenhof

To early to say! :-)

The weekly flower update will start at the end of March. (as soon as the keukenhof opens)

We have a cold winter so far. Snow is expected again this weekend.

Looking forward to springtime very much.

London, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
30. Re: Tulip Fields around Keukenhof

Hi Nina,

I am back once again. I have decided to avoid the Easter weekend considering too early and the flower parade weekend due to its huge rush. So I am left with 13th and 14th weekend or 27th, 28th weekend. I was planning the 13th, 14th weekend. Do you think its a good bet or shall I consider the last weekend?

Secondly, apart from Keukenhof, can you suggest me the nearby fields where I can view the dense flower beds, is it between Lisse and Sassenheim or Sassenheim and Noordwijk.