We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May 3 Keukenhof Options

Which Lisse hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Aurora, Colorado
Level Contributor
432 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
May 3 Keukenhof Options

I have one day to visit the gardens, May 3rd. I'm just reading about the parade and am so disappointed to know how hard it will be to see and photograph in the gardens.

I will be taking the bus from Schiphol and am wondering what that will be like if I get the first bus. I'm not sure what time the bus starts, is it at 8:00AM? Or later? Or earlier? I don't need to see the parade so am hoping to miss the traffic somehow...any suggestions? Early there and early back?

Does the parade block all the roads from Keukenhof? Would I be able to get into town for lunch?

Thanks for information on making it the best day possible, even though it is May 3rd...

Nieuw-Vennep, The...
Level Contributor
84 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: May 3 Keukenhof Options

Hello-

Bus 858 starts from 0830 from the airport. The ride is about 1/2 hour. Keukenhof is open at 0800 so that will not be a problem. The parade goes by the Keukenhof at 1430 (230pm ) The roads will be closed from about 1300 (1pm) until the end of the parade.

If you are out of the park and walk into Lisse to have lunch you will be able to get a bus from the center of town to Nieuw- Vennep then switch busses in and head straight back.

Let me know if you need more planning help. I would be happy to help. - Paula

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Lisse
Level Contributor
1,110 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: May 3 Keukenhof Options

@ trvlr8000 you don't need a bus to go to the city center of Lisse. it's 15 min walk max from the main entrance of Keukenhof. Besides that there are a lot of buffet style restaurants and snack points inside the Keukenhof.

The parade starts around 15.00, takes appr an hour - people are setting up camp along the roads from 11 in the morning. Traffic will be one big traffic jam from 10 - 19 hour. (to and from the keukenhof in all directions, no there are no shortcuts) Be early enjoy the keukenhof, have lunch in the city center, watch the parade, maybe visit the keukenhof after the parade again (make sure you have your ticket and a stamp on your hand when you leave) and have dinner before you take the bus back to your hotel to avoid all traffic jams.

Have a great time!

Nina

Aurora, Colorado
Level Contributor
432 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: May 3 Keukenhof Options

Thanks for the information. Nring, how I wish I had the stamina to do all of that in a day! I'm older, can't stand long or walk a lot. I need to rely on taxis or buses, even for the walk to town. So I'm trying to figure out how I can see the gardens, see the parade and eat at my favorite Dutch pancake restaurant, Frau Houle, I think it is.

I saw that there is a night parade the night before? And that it goes to other places then keukenhof. Maybe there would be a better place to see the parade? Where I could get good pics? I'm guessing the hotels in Lisse are filled or I could get a room the night before and be closer.

Any ideas? Thanks!

I leave to return to the US the next morning.

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Lisse
Level Contributor
1,110 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: May 3 Keukenhof Options

Visiting Keukenhof on the 3rd of May will be an all day Event. The route towards Keukenhof will be one big traffic jam to get to the park (unless you arrive before 9 am) from 10 AM you will find all roads towards and from Keukenhof completely blocked and very slow moving. From 2 PM they will start blocking roads (traffic will be stopped and not be possible) and the parade will travel by around 3 PM till 4 PM. It is a slow moving parade - and after the parade a lot of busses and cars want to leave. This cause a big traffic jam till 6 PM around 7 the traffic gets back to normal. The busses (incl public transport) to and from Keukenhof will be packed and lots of people need to stand inside the bus. The bus uses the normal roads so it can take easily 2 hours to get to and from the Keukenhof to Leiden or Schiphol. The same for taxi's. And no there are no short cuts. people in the area travel by bike only on this day.

If you don't want to see the parade on the 3rd of May - don't visit Keukenhof on this day unless you want to stand in traffic for hours. Please pick a day earlier or later.

There is a evening parade on Friday eve in the town of Noordwijkerhout see the map and timetable here bloemencorso-bollenstreek.nl/media/10032/BCB… and the parade will arrive in Haarlem on Saturday evening (might be your best choice - easy to reach without traffic problems if you travel by train from Amsterdam)

If you want to book a room for parade weekend, I think you should have booked a year ago. But you can always try. I would go to Keukenhof on Friday (afternoon - opened until 19.30), do something else on saturday and visit the parade arriving in Haarlem on saturday evening. If you have the time.

Nina

Lisse, The...
Level Contributor
724 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: May 3 Keukenhof Options

@trvlr8000: You can go by train to the Sassenheim train station. From there you can walk to the parade in 5 to 10 minutes. It saves you the trafic jams around Lisse and the Keukenhof.

I suppose you ment pannenkoekenhuios Vrouw Holle at the Kanaalstraat in Lisse (http://www.vrouwhollelisse.nl) . It's a 10 minutes walk from the main (south) entrance of the Keukenhof. But on parade day the centre of Lisse will be verry busy because of the parade. And beside that we have the Corso market in the city cetre which attracts a lot of visitors. So not the best day to go for a pancace.

Aurora, Colorado
Level Contributor
432 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: May 3 Keukenhof Options

Thanks CorTT, What time should I plan to be at the Sassenheim station? Will someone there know where to direct me to the parade route? I can't walk a lot but this sounds doable...do I get the train from LIsse or Amsterdam Central?

Yes I am talking about Vrouw Holle and will have to have a pancake there, it is my tradition, so hopefully I can figure out a way that will work to do that...going to Lisse from Colorado means getting to enjoy my favorite foods and flowers!

What is a Corso market? Sounds like another wonderful bit of culture to enjoy that day.

Thanks for the help and info!

Lisse, The...
Level Contributor
724 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: May 3 Keukenhof Options

The parade is passing by near the Sassenheim train station at 12.00h. The station can be reached from Amsterdam. You have to change trains at Schiphol airport. There is only one road from the train station to Sassenheim centre so it's easy to find and everybody knows. More information about the route can be found here: bloemencorso-bollenstreek.nl/media/10032/BCB…

But from there it will be hard to go to Lisse by public transportation. You need to go by bus or taxi but need to follow the corso route. Are you able to ride a bike? When you are you can rent one at Leiden Central station. From there it's 20 minutes by bike to the parade route and an other 25 minutes to the Keukenhof and Lisse.

The Corso market in Lisse is a big street market with some extra amusement also because this is one of the highlights of the year.

Stuttgart, Germany
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: May 3 Keukenhof Options

Hello Ms. Nring,

I am planning to visit Keukenhof on May 3rd 2014 when the flower parade is scheduled.

I have the below plan. please see and let me know your opinion whether I can continue with the plan or plan my visit to Keukenhof on 2nd May 2014.

1. Reach Schiphol @ 9:42 am and take bus 858 @ 9:52 or 10:02 to Keukenhof

2. Return: I have train from Schiphol @ 19:30, can i take the bus 858 around 16:30 so that i have 3 hours to reach Schiphol.

Please suggest.

Adarsh

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Lisse
Level Contributor
1,110 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: May 3 Keukenhof Options

@Adarsh M

Due to the parade it will be very crowded also in public transport. You can expect that the bus to Keukenhof at 9.52 / 10.02 will be very crowded, there might be standing room only and the trip might take a hour or 2 (maybe longer) If you can, travel earlier.

The parade will travel around 15 - 16 along the Keukenhof (and sometimes a bit later due to delay). A lot of people want to take the bus back immediately after the parade. Wait times will be very long around 16.30. The bus you are planning to take might be full and you have to wait for the next bus available. Busses will have a lot of difficulties to get to the keukenhof to pick up people. The road to the airport isn't clear at 16.30 and you will be stuck behind the parade. Expect a lot of people, lots of chaos, not enough busses and lots of traffic jams after the parade. Will you be able to reach the airport in time? I don't know.

I would visit the Keukenhof on another day and see the parade in Sassenheim for example (see post of CorTT) if you really be sure to be at the airport at 19.30. This will less crowded and easier to reach the train station of Sassenheim (where you can take the train to Schiphol)

Nina

Stuttgart, Germany
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: May 3 Keukenhof Options

@ Ms. Nring,

Do you suggest me to visit Kuekenhof on 2nd May instead of 3rd May?