We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation back to Amsterdam and Schiphol

Which Volendam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hibbing, Minnesota
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation back to Amsterdam and Schiphol

We are coming to Amsterdam from Belgium to spend just one day and fly back to U.S. Considered staying at the Best Western in Volendam - I have travel points for a free room. But I am wondering how accessible is transportation to Amsterdam and the airport. We want to arrive at Airport at 11:30am and are willing to take bus and train to get there.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,948 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation back to Amsterdam and Schiphol

will the free points get you a room at the best western in amsterdam?..trains run every 10 minutes back and forth from airport to amsterdam centraal station..if you really want to stay in volendam perhaps a local expert can tell you how to get there by public transportation..i drove there when i went.

Hoofddorp, The...
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation back to Amsterdam and Schiphol

Hi there.

Public transportation takes about 1 hour from the Spaander hotel to the airport. (assuming you stay at best western Spaander in Volendam and no trafficjams along the way)

Best way is probably take the bus from Zeestraat Volendam, which is some 5 or 10 minutes walk from the hotel(The hotel will know). Bus 110 or bus 118 direction Amsterdam stops at Amsterdam Central Station. To arrive around 10.30 hrs at the airport, it would mean a bus at 09.30 hrs from there. It will arrive in Amsterdam at 10.00 hrs . You can buy a ticket at the railwaystation and have a train to the airport 10.11 hrs, arrival 10.28 hrs

One bus earlier is 15 minutes earlier, train then also 15 minutes earlier, it does connect quite nicely.

One way on the bus is 7 strippen per person, around eur 3.50 if you buy a strippenkaart at a tobaccoshop in advance, in the bus it will cost more. A one way trainticket from Amsterdam Central to Schiphol airport is EUR 3.80.

Have fun!

Wiki

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,616 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation back to Amsterdam and Schiphol

You are coming from Belgium I take it by train. Once at Central Station in Amsterdam go to the bus stops at the east side (oosterdokskade, facing away from the river go to the front of the station and left past the tram stops) and take either Arriva bus 116 in the direction of Edam or the 118 in the direction of Hoorn. Once in Volendam the hotel (I presume you mean the Best Western Spaander)is around a five minute walk from the bus halt.

To pay for the bus you can either pay the driver of get strippenkaarts. For one journey you will need 7 strips on the kaart but if you just mention to the driver where you are going then he will do this for you. So for two of you, you'll need 2x15 strippenkaart for two return journeys. Strippenkaarts are available from AKO newsagents in the station or the GVB offce by the bus stops. Also from the ticket machines at near the west entrance of the station. If you buy tickets direct from the driver it will be a bit more expensive. The bus journey will take just under 30 minutes depending on the time of day.

As Steve says from Central Station trains run approx every 10 minutes to the airport.

There are a few Best Western Hotels in Amsterdam City itself though can you not use point in them?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,616 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation back to Amsterdam and Schiphol

Ah Wiki you were too quick for me there and yes you can also take bus 110

Hibbing, Minnesota
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation back to Amsterdam and Schiphol

thanks to all for your help. I don't have enough points for the Best Westerns in Amsterdam but for Volendam and Ultrecht 20,000 pts. I am happy to see that transportation in most European nations is so much more accessible than in the US. 90% of time you must rent cars ( San Francisco is one city you don't need a car - a car is actually a hindrance and will cost $40 to valet park at many hotels). I will book at Volendam. That saves much money - in US to use points would save me about $90 in Amsterdam it will save us about $200.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,616 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation back to Amsterdam and Schiphol

Nice and Volendam is not the worst place in the world to stay, especially by the haven (harbour) where your hotel is.

7. Re: Transportation back to Amsterdam and Schiphol

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 23:20