We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family tour for first time

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Family tour for first time

Hi,

This is my first time to visit Netherland. After reading some of forums, I become know the best place to stay for 5-6 days is Amsterdam.

Me and my wife like to stay in countryside but not sure where exactly to stay. So, which better to stay for this period 6-Aug till 11-Aug.? Is it better to stay in Utrecht or Central Amsterdam near by to Dam Square? One of my friend said around Dam square will be easier to reach most of attraction places and high top places we should to visit.

My family contains me, my wife and 2 kids ages 12 & 14 years.

Is the stay period long? So I can stay only from 6-Aug. till 10-Aug.?

Thanks a lot in advance

Waleed

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,049 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family tour for first time

Utrecht is 30km from Amsterdam so it would be kinda silly to stay there if you actually wanted to visit Amsterdam.

Anywhere in Central Amsterdam would be fine, not just Dam Sq. See this

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g188590-c156882/Amste…

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Family tour for first time

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Is Utrecht a good place for countryside? and what about kids and attraction around?

Thanks

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
55,493 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family tour for first time

Nope, Utrecht is also a big city and does not qualify as countryside. If you want a rural-feel town with decent train connectivity to a.o. Amsterdam, consider Abcoude, Weesp or even Naarden and Bussum.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

K K
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
3,429 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Family tour for first time

There are lot of countryside attractions near Utrecht and it can form a good base to go to these places. You can visit smaller (than Amsterdam/Utrecht) towns of Breukelen, Amersfoort, Woerden, Gouda etc. from Utrecht which is very well connected by trains to all these places. Trains take 15-20 minutes from Utrecht Centraal to all these places.

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Family tour for first time

What about for kids? Is there any activity they can did?

K K
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
3,429 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Family tour for first time

At Utrecht?

holland.com/uk/…attractions-in-utrecht-1.htm

www.visit-utrecht.com/en/content/first-time

Rail Museum, Clock Museum, Castel de Haar, MaarssenveensePlassen (lake with beach), canal boats (rent and sail yourself), Kidzcity, Swimming Pools, Water sports, many forts, other sports etc. are all nice.

7. Re: Family tour for first time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Utrecht