We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Den Haag, Delft, Rotherdam, or else?

Nagoya, Japan
Level Contributor
977 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Den Haag, Delft, Rotherdam, or else?

We are coming to Belgium and Holland in April. We land at Brussels and spend four nights, then at Brugge for two nights and Delft area for three nights and finally spend four night at Amsterdam and fly back home.

I am wondering which city is the best place to stay, Den Haag, Delft, Leiden or Rotherdam? We, man and wife of late 50s, would like to enjoy Veemer, tulips and windmills, i.e., regular tourist attractions. We have two large baggages and rather stay at one place.

Thanks in advance.

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,671 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Den Haag, Delft, Rotherdam, or else?

I can't think why anyone who doesn't have to work there would want to spend four nights in Brussels. It is a commercial and government center with little to offer the visitor. You'll be much better staying in Antwerp or elsewhere for a few of those days.

Of the Dutch towns you list, Delft and Leiden are small and pretty. Den Haag is by far a more interesting city than Rotterdam. For you it has the added advantage of being the location of the Marithaus museum where 'The girl with the pearl earing' is on display.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,289 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Den Haag, Delft, Rotherdam, or else?

The schedule sounds bad indeed.

Better is:

- 3 nights Brugge (optional daytrips to e.g. Damme or Oostende/ Knokke)

- 3 nights Ghent or Antwerp (daytrips to Brussels and Antwerp/ Ghent)

- 2 nights Delft or Leiden (daytrip to The Hague)

- 4 nights Amsterdam

Visit Rotterdam only if you have specific interests there such as the port or the cubic houses, for the average tourist it's not so interesting.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,946 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Den Haag, Delft, Rotherdam, or else?

or....knock 2 days off brussels, spend 2 days in brugge..come to amsterdam and base yourself there..and do day trips to delft,leiden, den haag, etc...

Leiden, The...
Level Contributor
263 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Den Haag, Delft, Rotherdam, or else?

Agree with the above posts....

Don't stay in Rotterdam unless you have specific interests there.....Then choose between Leiden or Delft if you want to stay in an old typically dutch city which is not too big. Delft is more touristy then Leiden, but Leiden has the advantage of being closer to the flowerfields and Keukenhof. The hague is a nice city, but I would prefer Delft or Leiden to stay in. From there, The Hague is easily reached by train for a day trip.

Or, indeed go to amsterdam and do day trips from there!

Nagoya, Japan
Level Contributor
977 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Den Haag, Delft, Rotherdam, or else?

Many thanks to everyone.

I understand Brussels is less popular among you. But reasons I planned to stay there are: (1)We do not want to move, because we have a large baggages. (2) From Brussels we can go to Ardennes area to watch some castles on a day-trrip. (3)We hear foods in Brussels is good. Is it right? (4) Antwerpen and/or Gent may be done by a day-trip from Brussels.

I also understand Delft would be the first choice among this area. Thanks for good information. I will try to find a logging there. Any other good advice?

Thanks.

nomonomo

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,752 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Den Haag, Delft, Rotherdam, or else?

You're right, Brussels does make a good central point for day trips. You can reach most of Belgium in a relatively short time. Also cities like Paris, London and KÖLN can be reached in 2-3 hours via High Speed Rail.

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,671 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Den Haag, Delft, Rotherdam, or else?

Here I have to disagree with vegas-guide. I can understand you not wanting to move around much, in which case you'd be MUCH better off staying in Antwerp than Brussels.

The food in Brussels is not bad but I rate the restaurants in Antwerp as a lot better. Certainly there is a much wider selection of eateries. Also, the bars in Antwerp are a lot more interesting and fun.

It is also every bit as central and as well connected as Brussels. From its truly magnificent train station you can easily reach anywhere in the country.

The only advantage I can think of that Brussels has is that the hotels are cheaper. There is of course a reason for this. The city itself is boring.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,289 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Den Haag, Delft, Rotherdam, or else?

So you want to go from Brussels to the Ardennes to see castles on a day trip? Which castles are you talking about?

The Ardennes are great, I go there pretty often, but it's not really easily accessible by public transport. It would be better to spend a night (or two) and rent a car.

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
162 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Den Haag, Delft, Rotherdam, or else?

I agree that it is better to rent a car for a short trip to the Ardennes. But it also depends how far you want to go in to the Ardennes. There are 2 nice citadels you can visit in Namur and Dinant and both cities are accessible by public transport (from Brussels). But it may become more difficult to visit places like La Roche-en- Ardenne, Durbuy and Bouillon with public transport. In that case I advice you stay at least one night somewhere in this area.

If you like tulips and flowers you can consider visiting de Keukenhof. Leiden is the nearest city to the flowergardens. However, de Keukenhof is also accessible by public transport from The Hague.

Furthermore, Delft, Leiden and The Hague are also easy to reach by public transport from Amsterdam. So it is not necessary to stay in one of these places. You can just take the train from Amsterdam and visit these cities in one day. So you don't have to pack everything and just stay in Amsterdam a few days longer to do some daytrips to The Hague, Delft etc.

Also Haarlem would be a nice day trip from Amsterdam. Just don't go to Rotterdam. There is nothing nice about this city, only ugly buildings.

Nagoya, Japan
Level Contributor
977 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Den Haag, Delft, Rotherdam, or else?

Everyone,

Now I understand very well. There are people who do not like Brussels. And there are people who do not like Rotherdam. Anyway very interesting tendency.

Still, I am not convinced to change my travel plan. Four nights at Brussels, two nights at Brugge, three nights at Delft(from your recommendations) and four nights at Amsterdam. I do not see any fundamental problems.

By the way, is there any good way (discount) to buy train tickets for the above itinerary? Do they sell a 'through' ticket from Brussels to Amsterdam? Is the 'through' ticket cheaper? Or regular 'piece-by-piece' tickets is the only way? Do they sell 'a week pass' for trains in Belgium and the Netherlands?

Thanks again.