We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kingsday in Delft

Which Delft hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
160 posts
159 reviews
Save Topic
Kingsday in Delft

We're very keen to go to Delft to see the Vermeer Museum (my favourite artist). If we were to go at the end of April, would we also find a Kingsday market there? - or is Amsterdam better for that?

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,865 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kingsday in Delft

kings day is only 1 day..april 26th.. but delft has market day on main square on thursday

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,613 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kingsday in Delft

The market on KD (vrijmarkt) is where everyone sells all the 5hit they bought from other people he previous year. I would no be worrying too much about it. This happens all over he country

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
160 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kingsday in Delft

thanks - we'd very much like to go to a Kingsday market for retro good, records, etc - I think what I'm asking is where the best ones are?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
8,579 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kingsday in Delft

I would no be worrying too much about it. This happens all over he country

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kingsday in Delft

The best ones are all over the country but you'd need to go early. For example in Amsterdam Jordaan area and Apollolaan people start going around shopping from about 8 am and the best bargains and nicest records and such might be gone by 9 or 10am.

I know people who go shopping with a backpack or kart, then take a nap, then go back for the partying. :-)

In Delft it might not be that crowded and the nice stuff may not sell out so soon.

Don't expect a full-on vintage market, it's basically people cleaing out their attics and about 90% is pure trash.

But it's usually a fun day, apart from the flea markets you'll also come across silly games, people dressed up in orange wigs and such, live bands etc.

Amsterdam gets crazy crowded; about 600,000 extra visitors on top of our 800,000 population, just to show how crowded / how small the city is. Some streets in Amsterdam will take you half an hour just to walk 200 meters, although they now have specially marked wider walking routes.

Delft will probably be a lot more mellow and less crazy.

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
160 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kingsday in Delft

thanks Ceciule - that's exactly what I needed to know. I don't think either of us could cope with the crowds in Amsterdam, so we'd very much prefer to go to a smaller town. Delft seems to be the ideal candidate with the Vermeer and Fabritius connection. Can anyone recommend nice, mid-range accommodation? - ideally small, central, family-run, not luxury - even a B&B rather than a hotel would be nice.

7. Re: Kingsday in Delft

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2015, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Delft