We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hoek van Holland train line replaced by RET Metro from April

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,842 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Hoek van Holland train line replaced by RET Metro from April

stenaline.co.uk/ferry-to-holland/…timetable

Noticed this whilst checking something on another forum. Might be of interest to people utilising the rail/sail option

"HOOK OF HOLLAND TO SCHIEDAM CENTRUM ROUTE CHANGES

On 1st April, 2017, the Dutch RET Metro Service will commence its operation of the Hook of Holland to Schiedam Centrum route on the Dutch Railway System, NS. All rail tracks will be converted to Metro lines and it is expected that the first subway train will run on 1st September, 2017.

From 1st April to 31st August a replacement bus service will be provided between Hook of Holland and Schiedam Centrum while track engineering works are in progress. Two services will run between Hook of Holland and Schiedam Centrum, a direct bus service and one which will stop at all intermediate railway stations en route. "

80 replies to this topic
UK
Level Contributor
8,951 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hoek van Holland train line replaced by RET Metro from April

Thanks for that. Great news - NOT!

(I started travelling on the route when you could walk off the ferry straight onto a train to Copenhagen or Warsaw...)

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
19,478 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hoek van Holland train line replaced by RET Metro from April

I suppose it's still better than the shuttle buses that DFDS and P&O lay on if you are getting the ferry into Ijmuiden or Europoort.

UK
Level Contributor
8,951 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hoek van Holland train line replaced by RET Metro from April

DFDS and P&O were only ever ferry companies.... whereas the Harwich to Hoek van Holland route was part of the old Sealink network of integrated train/ferry services. The route was designed for train passengers, complete with dedicated "boat trains" that you could only travel on if you had a combined train/ferry ticket

Although the old station in Hoek van Holland no longer exists, while the tracks were there one could hope/dream that one day some of the direct long-distance trains would be reinstated....

Level Contributor
1,183 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hoek van Holland train line replaced by RET Metro from April

<Great news - NOT!>

As a great Dutch football player once said "every disadvantage has its advantage". In this case it means that the RET day ticket and the tourist day ticket will also be valid to Hoek van Holland. So for some people getting to or from Hoek van Holland will be cheaper (and I know: for some it will be more expensive :)

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
61,946 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hoek van Holland train line replaced by RET Metro from April

Yes and as a consequence, there will be a new Hoek van Holland Strand (Beach) station which will _really_ be walking distance from beach, unlike the current one. That's a later stage though; Sep-1 the metros start running until HvH Harbour (Haven) and the extension comes somewhere next year.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Gainesville, Florida
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hoek van Holland train line replaced by RET Metro from April

I just booked this trip and frankly I'm not upset; improvements must be done at some point, the biggest benefit is that I can get from London to the Netherlands for less than a train and hotel combined.

They should put a big notice up on their site however for people who are not as easy going.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
61,946 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hoek van Holland train line replaced by RET Metro from April

Yes and doublecheck that the 'Rail and Sail' ticket now also should include the RET transport (by bus if before Sep-1 and by metro to Schiedam Centrum station if afterwards). Currently it only covers boat and NS transport. Logical for Stena to change it but sometimes paperwork folkz aren't able to catch up with reality ;-)

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

UK
Level Contributor
8,951 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hoek van Holland train line replaced by RET Metro from April

How is this going to work for passengers whose journey starts or ends outside the Netherlands? The service is used quite a bit by peope travelling to and from Germany, for example. At the moment you just go to bahn.de and buy a ticket to Hoek van Holland, I presume these through tickets will no longer be available now? That's a real pain (as well as making the journey more expensive).

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
61,946 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hoek van Holland train line replaced by RET Metro from April

Well I presume the tickets will now also include the RET component. Hope RET takes care of at least one machine per station not only accepting chips embedded in paper/plastic (like all current ones) but also scanned paper, just like all NS stations have this; then the Stena or Bahn.de ticket with QRcode/Barcode can be used to open those.

If this would not work then they would need some exchange mechanism at Stena office Hook and Schiedam Centraal station to obtain the embedded-chip passes on display of the combiticket. It's not unheard of: e.g. the Amsterdam Travel Ticket purchased online leads to a barcode, and one converts this to a physical product at a few places including Schiphol. This is because opening up all GVB traffic (in this case) with paperscanners was too much. In this specific case the 'online' product (rail & sail etc.) is only valid for one specific RET segment hence more roads to Rome would be possible ;-)

Something to keep watching ;-)

Tnx,

<Erik>

Level Contributor
1,183 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hoek van Holland train line replaced by RET Metro from April

<At the moment you just go to bahn.de and buy a ticket to Hoek van Holland, I presume these through tickets will no longer be available now? >

Your assumption is probably right. A couple of years ago another railway line was transformed into a metro line (Now RET line E from Rotterdam to The Hague). DB doesnt sell tickets to (or even knows) the stations at that line.

Reply to: Hoek van Holland train line replaced by RET Metro from April
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted