We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Large supermarkets/hypermarkets in Rotterdam

UK, Norwich
13 posts
Save Topic
Large supermarkets/hypermarkets in Rotterdam

Can someone tell us where can we find large hypermarkets in Rotterdam? Like Carrefour in France or Tesco in the UK? We have been in Rotterdam a couple of times but never spotted any.

Many thanks,

Alex

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,261 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Large supermarkets/hypermarkets in Rotterdam

Hi Alex,

Sorry but these hardly exist in NL. Maxis near Amsterdam was the sole attempt but did not work out well, and now has been changed into a shopping centre.

Search at www.ah.nl and look for their biggest type of shop, I think it's 'category 4', in Rotterdam. That's about 30-40% of the larger Tesco-Carrefour sizes and apparently the maximum that the Dutch public can appreciate.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,363 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Large supermarkets/hypermarkets in Rotterdam

Yep As Erik said they don't exist. AH have XL stores but they are about the size of a small Asda in relation to UK supermarkets. There are two in Rotterdam

Poolsterstraat 16, 3067 LX, Rotterdam

Argonautenweg 1, 3054 RP, Rotterdam

http://www.ah.nl/albertheijn/winkelinformatie

Good thing is there are loads of small bakers and grocers around local areas.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,102 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Large supermarkets/hypermarkets in Rotterdam

what?..no walmart-supercenters?..how do you all survive over there?!!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,261 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Large supermarkets/hypermarkets in Rotterdam

The point is transport infrastructure and parking. We do have large shops outside the main towns, with big parking lots, but the successful ones aren't the supermarkets but e.g. furniture, DIY or garden centres. For supermarkets people expect something closer to home, often reachable by public transport, etc. etc. Might have to do with the average size of homes and fridges and freezers over here, generally smaller than in US and even UK/France...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,679 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Large supermarkets/hypermarkets in Rotterdam

There probably is a demand for hypermarkets but shops that want to open such place never get a permit from the local city. The reason being that the established shops can complain and when they can prove that they will suffer, or that there are already enough shops. the proposed hypermarket will not get a permit.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,261 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Large supermarkets/hypermarkets in Rotterdam

That's another factor yes, but does not explain the commercial failure of Maxis. The 'perfect' Hypermarket it was, only 3 km from the edge of Amsterdam...

Tnx,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

TheHague
Level Contributor
928 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Large supermarkets/hypermarkets in Rotterdam

Much as I miss my Tescos and Sainsburys, which on average in the UK carry about 30,000 product lines compared with about 3,000 product lines in a typical Dutch supermarket (I didn't make these figures up either), I do appreciate the fact that in any urban area of Holland a supermarket is always within walking distance, there's no reason ever to take the car to do food shopping. Since I tend to go to the supermarket 3 or 4 times a week, I don't buy too much food, with the result that I rarely ever throw something out because its gone old or off. Compare this with the UK where there are usually traffic jams to get into the supermarket car park at weekends !

My big gripe is the fact that Albert Heijn seem to have the monopoly on supermarket sites in the Randstad, there are 3 AH's on one street alone near me.

Just one warning to the OP, for some reason known only to God, its impossible to pay with credit card at Albert Heijn.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,679 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Large supermarkets/hypermarkets in Rotterdam

Good question why the Maxis has failed. Maybe people from Amsterdam don't like to drive out of their city (or often don't have a car).

Actually I didn't know Maxis was already in Muiden since the seventies, so they tried it for a long time!

canonro.nl/Render/…20Muiden_W48095.jpg

I shopped there a few times though. I think they failed because you really cannot run a supermarket properly when you have just one branch. You need buying power to get extra discounts, else you can't attract customers. Dutch would never drive extra miles to pay more than in their neighborhood supermarket.

The Maxis shopping center in Muiden is still alive now. They have a AH XL and many other shops. I think it is doing well as a mall outside the city.

http://www.maxis.nl/

A similar shopping center is in venlo:

http://www.trefvenlo.nl/

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,363 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Large supermarkets/hypermarkets in Rotterdam

If you live in a large city then you will probably live in an apartment up a steep set of stairs with no elevator.

Carrying large amounts of groceries up is a big effort so people tend to go to the shops a few times a week rather than going to large hypermarkets and gettin a weeks shopping.

Even if you do have a car you end up having to park it miles from your place and then carrying bags all the way home.

I do love Asda, & Carrefour etc as one stop shops but I also appreciate all the little bakers and grocers in the neighbourhood even if it can be a bit of a pain to source ingredients sometimes and it also means that groceries are much more expensive than in the UK or elsewhere. Meat and bread especially.

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
9,434 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Large supermarkets/hypermarkets in Rotterdam

When we rode out to Muiden we saw that Maxis mall. We figured we'd grab some snacks for the daypacks. We locked up the bikes and walked through that big revolving door. Once we were in, the folly of our ways hit us full force. We spun on our heels and stepped right back into that revolving door. Had a hell of a time unlocking our bikes from all the laughing. We tell that story over and over again.

That is all,

chuck.